Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

developed..eyes..His eating habits..behavior dont seem any different…

Customer Question
we own an adult veiled...
we own an adult veiled chameleon that has developed a round growth about the size of a small marble right between his eyes on the top of his head. His eating habits, and behavior dont seem any different. we are wondering if this is a common occurance, and what possibly caused it?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Reptile
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/25/2010
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 8 years ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist

some additional information will help me to answer your question.

Does the growth feel hard or soft?

What temperatures do you maintain on the warm and cool sides of the cage?

What do you feed? any supplements?

What brand and size of UVB light do you have? Is the bulb a coil or straight tube? How old is it?

Thank you.

Anna

skin over growth is stretched tight, however if pressed lightly doesn't feel solid, has

some give. sort of like a full blister.

temps maintained between 75 and 85 degrees ferenheit.

feed crickets, mealworms, and wax worms with reptivite vitamin powder.

using zoo med brand 100watt power sun uv lamp. provides uva, uvb, light and heat

all in one lamp. Just replaced one month ago. previous bulb was the same lamp,

about 8 months old.

Thank you for getting back to me. There are several possible explanations for the lump, including an abscess, a tumor, or an infected cricket bite. It would be impossible to be sure based only an online description, but the location of the lump concerns me. The chameleon's sinus cavity is located between the eyes. Swelling there can indicate an infected sinus. If that's what it is, it requires rapid treatment. Regardless of what the lump is, chameleons are very delicate, and whenever anything is wrong, it's best to see a reptile vet early. Once more symptoms appear, it is often too late. If you'll give me your zip code, I'll find the nearest reptile vet for you.

In the meantime, make sure all conditions are perfect for your chameleon. The temperature gradient you have is a bit chilly, and that can make infections more likely. The gradient should be 80*F on the cool side and 95*F in the basking area. Night time temperatures can be cooler. Here is a site where you can check on your other conditions:

Veiled chameleon

If you have more questions, or want help finding a vet, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your chameleon will be fine.

Anna

thank you for the insite. my zip code is 85326. A vet recomendation would be great.

The closest one is about 25 miles away. Here it is:

CamelWest Animal Hospital
Dr. Jessica Steurer
5502 West Camelback Suite 1
Glendale, AZ 85301
Telephone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />
If that one doesn't work out for some reason, let me know and I'll see what else we can find.

Anna