Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

We have lost a python in the house, it is a large house with…

Customer Question
We have lost a python...
We have lost a python in the house, it is a large house with lot of dark spaces, wood, beds etc. So far we cannot find it. We also have a dog. Any advice?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Reptile
6/22/2010
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 8 years ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

How large is the Dog?

What type of Python do you have and how large is it?

When was the snake last fed?

What is the normal diet for the snake?

Joan

The dog is a staffie cross, not large but muscely.

The python was fed last week with a mouse, it gets fed once a week.

It's about 5ft4.

It belongs to my flatmate and she's not here so I'm not too sure.

It sounds like a Ball Python. If this is the case it may or may not go after the Dog. Pythons can go a year without eating, which may become problematic. If this is a male snake, this is breeding season, so he may be more active and show himself. I would het a cage and place a live mouse or two on the floor as well as a shallow bowl of water. This may draw the snake out as it will pick up the mouse. You will want to keep the dog crated when not home or with you until the snake is found. The reason for this is even though the snake cannot swallow the dog, it can still attempt to strangulate the dog. These are some ideas on how to catch and find the snake: http://forum.kingsnake.com/escape/messages/72.html

Check the under and behind of appliances for holes

This is messy, but you can sprinkle some flour in areas where you suspect your snake might be hiding it would leave a trail to the hiding place when it comes out.

Joan