My Leopard Gecko has a bump under her left eye. Her right eye seems stuck closes and her mouth looks swollen we noticed

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My Leopard Gecko has a bump under her left eye. Her right eye seems stuck closes and her mouth looks swollen we noticed a white tissue like growth in her moth under the eye where there is the bump. We are at a loss. Her tail looks normal.
Answered by Jav917 in 3 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Can you post a picture of the area? Use the tree icon to upload the picture.

Can you tell me about your set up?

Substrate?

Diet?

Supplements?

Hides? Moist?

Temps?

Humidity?

Passing stool?

Joan

Customer
My kid is sleeping in the room right now. We always used a Calcium based substrate, but recently bought a reptile set which worried me because it had a sand that gets hard and warns about ingestion. the humidity is probably 60%. the diet is Crickets, super worms, meal worms. Calcium is supplemented once in a while. the hide feels normal. She is having a hard time with her sheds. Cant tell about the stool. does seem to be eating. She has a hot rock. I would say the temp is around 80 when not on the hot rock.

You have some serious issues in husbandry that may be playing a part of what is happening. I really need to see a picture of the mouth area. I can wait till tomorrow for the picture, but I do want to start you with my care sheet. Please open the link on calcium sand substrate and read all the information. The heat rock needs to go as the only safe type is if the power cord has been cut off. You can reply to me here for follow ups, and as soon as you post the picture I will be able to further assist you. Joan

http://homepage.mac.com/exoticdvm/reptile/PhotoAlbum181.html Sand Impaction

Leopard Gecko Care Sheet

The Leopard Gecko is originally from Pakistan, India, and a few other countries in Asia. They actually live on hard rocky outcrops and they are nocturnal (active at night). They prefer temperatures between 82 and 88 degrees all day and night. They grow to between 8 to 11 inches. Leopard Geckos are available in a wide range of colors and patterns which are the result of selective captive breeding. These include albino, ghost, striped, jungle, Leucistic and high yellow. These colors have been made possible through selective captive breeding. Leopard Geckos make wonderful pets for almost any age person. Leopard Geckos also make good long term pets. They can live over twenty years. Never grab by tail it will break off. Leopard Gecko Housing: A male Leopard Gecko should never be housed in the same cage as another male leopard gecko because they will fight and possibly kill one another. A male can be housed with several females without any problems. I do not advise housing leopard geckos in the same cage with any other reptiles. A single Leopard Gecko can be kept in a ten gallon tank. For a male and a few females a twenty gallon tank or larger should be used. The cage should have a screen lid on top of it to prevent any escapes. Leopard geckos need places to hide and sleep during the day so you must provide a couple of hiding spots. They need a warm hiding spot and a cold humid hiding spot. Just put one hide box on the side with the heat light and put the humid hide box on the side that does not have the heat light. I actually prefer an under the tank heater for heat source rather than a light since the geckos are Nocturnal. For the humid hide box, Paper Towels work well and easily replaced inside a hide box. You can make your own humid hide box from a small plastic shoe box or from a margarine conatiner. Cut a hole in one end of the container and place moist paper towel inside it. The humid box should be cleaned out every week and re moistened. A humid hide box is needed so that the gecko can go in it when it needs to shed. The humidity helps the old skin come off.
Substrate: There is an abundance of products on the market that claim to be safe substrates. All Loose Substrates (Please note the link above) however are not safe to use. A substrate is what you put on the bottom of the cage for the lizard to walk around on. If a Leopard Gecko ingests any of the substrate accidentally, the substrate must pass through the digestive system. Trust me they will ingest substrate, sometimes on purpose. If it does not easily pass through the digestive system compaction will occur. Compaction is an extreme blockage of the digestive tract and is often fatal. Some substrates that I consider unsafe because they can cause compaction are: sand, bark, Calci sand, crushed walnut shells, lizard litter, gravel, aquarium gravel, and coconut fiber. The safest substrate is using paper towels or plain newspaper, non-stick shelf liner , cage carpet or ceramic tile. For any leopard geckos that are younger than six months I advise using paper towels or plain newspaper until they are at least six months old. Calcium sand is not fully digested no matter what it claims. The stuff just does not break down completely. . Leopard Gecko Heating and Temperature: The cage should be between 82 to 88 degrees all day and night. There is two basic ways to heat the cage. One is to use a under tank heater like heat tape. The other is to use a black, or blue night incandescent heat light. I prefer to use a heat light. For a 10 gallon tank a 60 watt bulb should work depending on room temperature. Place the heat light on one end of the cage. By putting the heat light on one end of the cage it keeps that side warmest and allows the gecko to move to the warmer side with the light or to the colder side without the light as needed to regulate body temperature.
NEVER EVER USE A HOT ROCK, HEAT ROCK, OR ANY SIMILAR PRODUCT. Hot rocks heat unevenly and are notorious for causing terrible thermal burns. Do not buy a hot rock and if you know anyone who uses one, tell them to throw it away. Leopard Gecko Feeding: Leopard Geckos will do very well on a diet of mealworms and crickets. I like to provide some variety in feeder insects to create a more balanced diet. Feeder insects I use are silkworms, mealworms, roaches and crickets with the legs on one side of the body pulled off. Crickets will bite your geckos while they sleep, these bites are prone to infection, so if you pull off one side of their legs then they cannot move around the cage and get to the gecko and also this prevents the crickets from climbing out of the cage. Gut load feeder insects for at least a day before putting them in with the gecko. Feed geckos insects that are not larger than the width of the head of the gecko.
Adults can be fed superworms, though I advise only feeding a couple superworms at a time. Leopard Gecko Vitamin/Mineral Supplement: For young geckos dust the feeder insects every other feeding or place a small feeder dish with supplement in it and some mealworms in the cage. For adults and babies place a shallow dish or a plastic lid in the cage with a teaspoon of calcium powder on it. The gecko will lick the calcium powder as needed. You still need to dust feeder insects every other feeding though with a vitamin supplement for young geckos. Adults use vitamin supplement once a week. Leopard Gecko Water: Use a shallow water bowl, fill with water as needed. Remove bowl from cage and clean out weekly.

Do Not Feed Pinkies

Customer

Ok>

We took a picture and I will try to download it tomorrow.

Customer
I accepted before I sent you the picture, I hope I can still reach you tomorrow

I do suspect this may be an abscess or mouth rot. I will await the picture tomorrow and after I view it, I can give further information. Bookmark this page and you will get back with me. In the mean time, please take a q-tip and clean the mouth area by using a q-tip with the Betadine on the area. I will look for the picture. You do not have to accept again. Joan

Customer

The picture is to large. do you have an email I can send it to through Yahoo.. Also its not a hot rock. We have a Heat Pad under the tank. It is only on the half where there is a small cave for her to sleep in.

You can email the picture to [email protected] and she will get the picture to me. Joan

I received the picture this morning and after review, it is as I suspected. It is an abscess and will need to be opened and drained by a Herp Vet. These are common and almost looks like an Aural abscess. This is where bacteria will get in through an opening and become trapped causing an abscess. It can be very painful for your Leo. I will be happy to locate a Herp Vet for you with a state and zipcode. Joan

Joan40339.0982752315
Customer

Thanks!!

I live in NY in Zip code 10918

We tried to find one and the closest seemed to be about thirty something ,iles away.

I have some for you:

Goshen Veterinary Center
Alistair S. Chapnick, DVM
84 6 1/2 Station Road
Goshen, NY 10924
Telephone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />Get Driving Directions

Otterkill Animal Hospital
James Zgoda, DVM XXXXX
Campbell Hall, NY 10916
Telephone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />Visit Website - Get Driving Directions

Westend Veterinary Office
Don Factor, DVM
n/a
Newburgh, NY 12550

Newburgh Veterinary Hospital
Don Factor, DVM
Newburgh Veterinary Hospital
Newburgh, NY 12550

***Highly recommended

County Animal Hospital
Laurie Hess, DVM XXXXX
New City, NY 10956

Valley Cottage Animal Hospital
Linda Atkins, DVM
202 Route 303
Valley Cottage, NY 10989

Franklin Lakes Animal Hospital
Cheryl Welch, VMD XXXXXbr />Franklin Lakes, NJ 07417

Pompton Lakes Animal Hospital
Dr. Shokoff XXXXXbr />Pompton Lakes, NJ 07442

Hope this helps Joan

Customer

thanks this is great. I hope its not to late for our Gecko.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.