There was a small round turtle with yellow on her head and front legs digging in my backyard. she dug all day and i

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: there was a small round turtle with yellow on her head and front legs digging in my backyard. she dug all day and i assume she was laying eggs. the next day the hole was covered over and there is a little mound and she is gone.
what type of turtle is this.? i live in north carolina but not near any beach.
how long is the gestation period for the eggs to hatch?
It was an amazing experience to watch her so dedicated and committed.
please RSVP thanks, clara
Answered by Jav917 in 11 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Does this look like the turtle that you had seen?

Box Turtle in Maryland

Joan

Customer
that looks about the right size but it didnt have any yellow on her shell

What I believe you had seen is a Box turtle. There are many variations of colors as well as types. Most likely you had seen an Eastern Box turtle. They are known to seek out a nesting site and deposit the eggs to hatch and find their way into the world. The time varies on hatch time. It may range from about 70 days to 90 days depending on temps and where laid. I hope this helps. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.