I have bought a leopard gecko and have had it for about 7 months. When I got her she was looking good. Good yellow

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have bought a leopard gecko and have had it for about 7 months. When I got her she was looking good. Good yellow color, purple plump tail, and she looked good. A couple months later I got a male, he was considerable smaller but now he is a beast. I thought he was being selfish and just eating everything. About two months ago I was noticing her not eating at all and getting skinnier. I found out she was gravid, when the eggs where layed, they were oval-ish but very "rocky" looking and I knew they weren't healthy. I tossed them. She still wasn't eating much if at all. She lays flat on the aquarium floor frequently, and every now and then the male will try to grab at her, but she wins every time (as a woman does). She was in sand before I got her (or sand-ish stuff) and I have since changed there bedding to an eco-carpet type thing. I have washed it and disinfected it a couple times with zoo-med. she ate today and a couple hours later threw up? What is wrong with my lil girl?! Help!!
Answered by Jav917 in 6 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

I want to give you my care sheet to help you with your Gecko. Please read it and then hit reply for further help. We will need to go over some first aid and you need to separate them asap. Joan

http://homepage.mac.com/exoticdvm/reptile/PhotoAlbum181.html Sand Impaction

Leopard Gecko Care Sheet

The Leopard Gecko is originally from Pakistan, India, and a few other countries in Asia. They actually live on hard rocky outcrops and they are nocturnal (active at night). They prefer temperatures between 82 and 88 degrees all day and night. They grow to between 8 to 11 inches. Leopard Geckos are available in a wide range of colors and patterns which are the result of selective captive breeding. These include albino, ghost, striped, jungle, Leucistic and high yellow. These colors have been made possible through selective captive breeding. Leopard Geckos make wonderful pets for almost any age person. Leopard Geckos also make good long term pets. They can live over twenty years. Never grab by tail it will break off. Leopard Gecko Housing: A male Leopard Gecko should never be housed in the same cage as another male leopard gecko because they will fight and possibly kill one another. A male can be housed with several females without any problems. I do not advise housing leopard geckos in the same cage with any other reptiles. A single Leopard Gecko can be kept in a ten gallon tank. For a male and a few females a twenty gallon tank or larger should be used. The cage should have a screen lid on top of it to prevent any escapes. Leopard geckos need places to hide and sleep during the day so you must provide a couple of hiding spots. They need a warm hiding spot and a cold humid hiding spot. Just put one hide box on the side with the heat light and put the humid hide box on the side that does not have the heat light. I actually prefer an under the tank heater for heat source rather than a light since the geckos are Nocturnal. For the humid hide box, Paper Towels work well and easily replaced inside a hide box. You can make your own humid hide box from a small plastic shoe box or from a margarine conatiner. Cut a hole in one end of the container and place moist paper towel inside it. The humid box should be cleaned out every week and re moistened. A humid hide box is needed so that the gecko can go in it when it needs to shed. The humidity helps the old skin come off.
Substrate: There is an abundance of products on the market that claim to be safe substrates. All Loose Substrates (Please note the link above) however are not safe to use. A substrate is what you put on the bottom of the cage for the lizard to walk around on. If a Leopard Gecko ingests any of the substrate accidentally, the substrate must pass through the digestive system. Trust me they will ingest substrate, sometimes on purpose. If it does not easily pass through the digestive system compaction will occur. Compaction is an extreme blockage of the digestive tract and is often fatal. Some substrates that I consider unsafe because they can cause compaction are: sand, bark, Calci sand, crushed walnut shells, lizard litter, gravel, aquarium gravel, and coconut fiber. The safest substrate is using paper towels or plain newspaper, non-stick shelf liner , cage carpet or ceramic tile. For any leopard geckos that are younger than six months I advise using paper towels or plain newspaper until they are at least six months old. Calcium sand is not fully digested no matter what it claims. The stuff just does not break down completely. . Leopard Gecko Heating and Temperature: The cage should be between 82 to 88 degrees all day and night. There is two basic ways to heat the cage. One is to use a under tank heater like heat tape. The other is to use a black, or blue night incandescent heat light. I prefer to use a heat light. For a 10 gallon tank a 60 watt bulb should work depending on room temperature. Place the heat light on one end of the cage. By putting the heat light on one end of the cage it keeps that side warmest and allows the gecko to move to the warmer side with the light or to the colder side without the light as needed to regulate body temperature.
NEVER EVER USE A HOT ROCK, HEAT ROCK, OR ANY SIMILAR PRODUCT. Hot rocks heat unevenly and are notorious for causing terrible thermal burns. Do not buy a hot rock and if you know anyone who uses one, tell them to throw it away. Leopard Gecko Feeding: Leopard Geckos will do very well on a diet of mealworms and crickets. I like to provide some variety in feeder insects to create a more balanced diet. Feeder insects I use are silkworms, mealworms, roaches and crickets with the legs on one side of the body pulled off. Crickets will bite your geckos while they sleep, these bites are prone to infection, so if you pull off one side of their legs then they cannot move around the cage and get to the gecko and also this prevents the crickets from climbing out of the cage. Gut load feeder insects for at least a day before putting them in with the gecko. Feed geckos insects that are not larger than the width of the head of the gecko.
Adults can be fed superworms, though I advise only feeding a couple superworms at a time. Leopard Gecko Vitamin/Mineral Supplement: For young geckos dust the feeder insects every other feeding or place a small feeder dish with supplement in it and some mealworms in the cage. For adults and babies place a shallow dish or a plastic lid in the cage with a teaspoon of calcium powder on it. The gecko will lick the calcium powder as needed. You still need to dust feeder insects every other feeding though with a vitamin supplement for young geckos. Adults use vitamin supplement once a week. Leopard Gecko Water: Use a shallow water bowl, fill with water as needed. Remove bowl from cage and clean out weekly.

Do Not Feed Pinkies

Customer
Hey Joan,

I have read your care sheet and I have done pretty much everything on it, their cage does stay at about 82 degrees or so, I do need to replace their light with a blue/black one, but other than that, I am pretty much rigt on the money. The meal worms I bought today are the first time I got very large ones, they were definitely larger than her head was wide. Wont do that again. I have them seperated in their aquarium. Wat shall I do next?

I would like you to give your girl a nice soak in 1/2 warm water and 1/2 plain Pedialyte. 20 mins if possible. This will help with dehydration. Start her on some meat baby food with calcium powder mixed in. She depleted her calcium reserves with the eggs. From one breeding she can lay a years worth of eggs. It is possible she is gravid again and getting ready to lay. We need to push the calcium as much as possible. When feeding the baby food, please drop on the snout and allow her to lick it off as she can aspirate if she is force fed. She will also need a fecal exam to rule out parasites. The stress from the male can cause a parasite bloom. The do carry parasites normally, but if stressed they increase and can cause weight loss. I can locate a Herp Vet for you with a location of State. Joan

Joan40288.1507321412
Customer
I am living in richmond VA. I am currently going to Betty Baugh's animal clinic. If you know of a bettey herp vet, I am all in. I am a fan of keeping my geckos alive. I looked at her belly and I am not seeing signs of eggs, but I am certainly not a vet. I will be going tomorrow to get the supplies for her and I will start her on that for sure. For the fecal exam, do they just ned her feces of do they need her tere as well?

They will need to see her for a weight and possibly blood. Ask them to do an acid fast stain to be sure everything is covered in the fecal. This is a link to the Herp Vets: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/virginia.html Ther are several in Richmond, but if you can see Stahl, he is an authority on Reptiles. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.