I have a panther chameleon and one of his eyes appears to bubble up and then get back to normal. Is there something I

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hello I have a panther chameleon and one of his eyes appears to bubble up and then get back to normal. Is there something I could do? He eats well and drinks water...

Thanks

Ignacio
Answered by Jav917 in 8 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Can you tell me about the set up?

Diet? Prey?

Substrate?

Supplements?

UVB? Type coil or tube? How old?

Area to locate a Herp Vet?

Temps and how measured?

Joan

Customer
It has a 2*2*4 cage
Crickets, wax worms
calcium supplement
UVB- coil 3month
75-80

Thank-you for the infomation. I suspect the problem may be with your UVB bulb. The coil type bulbs have been found to cause eye problems in Reptiles. The problem is Photo Kerato Conjunctivitis. It causes as described as a snow blindness, which causes swelling of the eye. I will give you a link to read about this problem. For now you can use some plain saline solution without preservatives. I do suggest a Herp Vet visit to have the eye checked as the Chameleons are prone to eye issues because of the global orbit of the eyes. This may also be a vitamin deficiency issue. If you need a Herp Vet please let me know and I will try to locate one with a State or Country. Joan

compact UVB problems: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-info.htm

Customer
The eye is not swollen he opens and closes the eye and when its closed it seems to just bubble and the bubble moves in and out.... Is this the same?

Without seeing the actual problem, I can assume that is what is happening. I think a Herp Vet evaluation would be very important, since the Chameleon eyesight is very keen and the eyes need to be in good shape for them to feed. The Coil type UVB bulbs have been documented as causing eye problems, so I would try and rule that out first. Joan

Customer
The UVB is actually a Compact Florescent from ZOO MED i just checked... sorry for wrong info earlier...

The compact are the ones, are the type that are having problems. The tube type are much safer rather thanthe compact. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.