Chinese water dragon, about 8 inches ,not sure of age, is ...why has it turned from deep dark to brown

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: chinese water dragon, about 8 inches long,not sure of age, is brown...why has it turned from deep dark green to brown
Answered by Jav917 in 18 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Can you tell me about the set up?

Diet? Prey/Greens?

Substrate?

Supplements?

UVB? Type coil or tube? How old?

Area to locate a Herp Vet?

Temps and how measured?

Passing stool?

Joan

Customer
Ok it is in a 40 gallon tank, The pet store said it would work well for about a year,I don't know the age, The store said that they were hatchlings and could get up to 3 feet long,It eats crickets, and we have slowly started adding fuits and will eventually add vegi's, we are trying to add slowly to it's diet.It is passing stools, every other day, but it has done this since he came home.It has fake plants right now,I put the ones that the pet store recommended, I think it's a little crowded but he/she has minded till just the past few days.We are keeping the humidity at about 78 measured by a hygrometer,placed in the opossite corner of the under tank heater(a stick on type heating pad)the canopy light is a coiled tube, 26w 5.0 uvb light it stays on 12hrs a day, like instructed by pet store, and we have a repti glo basking spot lamp that faces a log styled basking area, he stays under it 2-3 hours, the tank stays at an approximately 79 degrees measure by a thermometer placed in the front bottom corner and another at the back corner. we lined the flooring of the tank with reptile carpet.We have done everything we were initially told to,and have spent a good amount of money to keep it happy and healthy, as for a herp vet, I am unsure there is one that comes to the pet smart here every two weeks, but we have done what they said, and was told if his eyes are clear and non-cloudy he is fine,I just fear maybe he is not.

The UVB is not strong enough and it is also the coil type which can cause a Photo kerato conjunctivitis, which is like snow blindness and can cause the eyes to swell as and have discharge. I would change the UVB to a tube type to extend the length of the tank. A 10.0 would be the right size for that tank. As far as color, it can change with mood and temperature. If the temps are too cool, the WD will get darker to absorb heat. The green color is normal and usually means the Dragon is comfortable. I would have a Fecal done as all reptiles carry parasites and if stressed they can go into a full bloom. I am going to give you a site with a well known authority on water Dragons. It will give you information that you will not get from a pet shop from ailments and what to watch for to diet and complete care.

This is on the coil UVB:

compact UVB problems: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-info.htm

I can also locate a herp Vet for you with a State. Joan

http://www.triciaswaterdragon.com/dragoncr.htm

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.