I have a red earred slider and his shell is looking bad. It's peeling and it doesn't look like the way it used to. What

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a red earred slider and his shell is looking bad. It's peeling and it doesn't look like the way it used to. What can that be? What can I do about it?
Answered by Jav917 in 39 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Can you tell me what type of turtle you have?

Diet?

Supplements?

UVB? How old? Type Coil or tube?

Can you also post a picture of what she looks like? Use the Tree Icom in the tool bar. Joan

Customer
He is a red eared slider, I'm not too sure of how old he is. I have him for about a year now. I feed him Reptomin Floating food sticks. Also Turtle Delite which is dried shrimp. And i also bought him an anit-parasite pellets for him. I have him in a 30gallon tank with a basking station above it, he can swim up to it. he has a uv bulb.

The UVB bulb is a florescent type that needs to be changed every 6 months as it helps metabolize the calcium in the body to help make the shell and bones strong. If you do not have a UVB tuibe it will need to be gotten to help the turtle. The diet should be 50% greens or aquatic plants, 25% prey items and 25% pellets. The Turtle need a calcium supplement (I suggest a cuttle bone) They need good filtration to keep any bacteria and fungal infections from starting up. The basking bulb is a UVB bulb. From what you have described this may be a bacterial or fungal infection. If it is one then a Herp Vet visit will be needed to get the proper medication for treatment. I can locate a herp Vet for you with a location. Joan

This link gives information on Shell Issues: http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/medshell.htm

Care sheet: http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-red_ear_slider.htm

Customer
The bulb i use is a UV. I can't get him to eat greens, no matter how hard I try. I've put the cuttle bone in and he just hides and runs from it. I buy him feeders fish on occasion so he can eat and swim after them. I usually get him 5-10 feeder fish at a time. I have a filter that has worked alot better than other filters. I also use Tidy Turtle which is supposed to keep tanks and gravel clean and remove sludge and i use a water conditioner in his tank as well.
How can I get him to eat more greens? Do I have to put aquatic plants in the tank? I have located a vet and made an appointment to go see him. If it ends up being a fungal infection, how do I take care of him? Do i need to be washing the tank with certain soaps? can it be what i use to clean the tank with?

The UVB bulb is made by Reptisun and stretches across the length of the tank. I will post a picture for you. When it comes to caring for these guys they know how to wrap their keepers around their flippers. Tough love with diet is the only way to get a hold on this. You may want to withhold the live food for a couple of days and feed strictly the greens Collards, escarole, endives and mustard grees. The Pets supplies sell aquatic plants that he should chow on, if you want to go that route. If this is a bacterial infection or fungal infection the Vet will goive medication to be administered orally as well as topically. I would suggest a water change of 50% to start and this will help take some of the impurities out of the water. In the mean time you can get some Betadine and make a tea colored solution with water and give him a soak in it and let him dry before placing him back in the tank. do not let him drink it or put his head under the mixture. Joan

http://www.anapsid.org/uvtable.html

Reptile UVB Flourescent lamps (UV strip lights) Reptile UVB Flourescent lamps (UV strip lights) These are the lights that are essential for day active reptiles to promote vitamin D3 production to enable calcium absorbtion for strong healthy bones and preventing metabolic bone disease.

Customer
Thanks so much! Another thing, he doesn't like to be held. Every time I take him out of the tank he's trying to get away from me. He also tries to bite me at times. I don't think he'd let me keep his head above the water with the Betadine. Is there any other ways I can get him all the vitamins he needs? I don't want anything happening to him, I want him to be a healthy turtle. I want to make sure i can get him everything he will need to be healthy. Any other suggestions to keep him healthy?

You can use a powdered calcium 5 days a week and a Vitamin 2 days a week. The correction in diet and lighting will help with getting him healthy. if you make the solution in a shallow bowl only under the legs you can pour the mixture over the shell. The UVB light will help to make a big difference. Joan

Customer
thank you so much for all your help! I appreciate it so much!
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.