My leopard gecko had a hard ball of sand attached to its anus. It seemed to be attached some how i snipped it off and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My leopard gecko had a hard ball of sand attached to its anus. It seemed to be attached some how i snipped it off and cleaned it. Was that ball dry doodoo? His eyes have also been shut for quite some time. He has a layer of skin covering his face that never came off when he shedded agout 10 days ago. his eyes seem to be crusted shut hes about 5 yrs old. Thank you!!
Answered by Jav917 in 1 hour 12 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Is this a male or female Leopard Gecko?

Can you tell me about your set up?

Substrate?

Hides? Moist?

Temps?

Humidity?

Joan

Customer

Hes a male and has 100 gallon terranium with branches and an artificial tree with a hollow base about 8inch in diamater. We live in Florida and he is kept at room temp. We have had him for five years and he has been fine but recently he hasnt been eating. His skin also seems vrey dry and his eyes are crusted over. The pebble on his anus was brown and covered in san it was hard and seemed to be stuck to his insides. The main thing is his eyes i carefully tried peeling the skin and adding moisture but they are crusted shut!

I am concerned that what you removed may have been a hemipenile prolapse and you actually removed a testicle rather than a foriegn object. It sounds like you have some serious issues going on with your Leo. I suggest a Herp Vet visit asap to have him checked out. In the mean time you can give him a soak in 1/2 warm water and 1/2 palin Pedialyte to help with dehydration as well as removing retained shed. To feed use a meat baby food mixed with calcium and drop on the snout and allow to lick off. Do not try to force feed. You can use some plain saline solution without preservatives on and in the eyes. Gently use a q-tip on the lids with some plain cooking oil to help soften the retained shed. I am also going to give you my care sheet and a list of Herp Vets in Fl.

Please read it and then hit reply for further help. Joan

http://homepage.mac.com/exoticdvm/reptile/PhotoAlbum181.html Sand Impaction

Leopard Gecko Care Sheet

The Leopard Gecko is originally from Pakistan, India, and a few other countries in Asia. They actually live on hard rocky outcrops and they are nocturnal (active at night). They prefer temperatures between 82 and 88 degrees all day and night. They grow to between 8 to 11 inches. Leopard Geckos are available in a wide range of colors and patterns which are the result of selective captive breeding. These include albino, ghost, striped, jungle, Leucistic and high yellow. These colors have been made possible through selective captive breeding. Leopard Geckos make wonderful pets for almost any age person. Leopard Geckos also make good long term pets. They can live over twenty years. Never grab by tail it will break off. Leopard Gecko Housing: A male Leopard Gecko should never be housed in the same cage as another male leopard gecko because they will fight and possibly kill one another. A male can be housed with several females without any problems. I do not advise housing leopard geckos in the same cage with any other reptiles. A single Leopard Gecko can be kept in a ten gallon tank. For a male and a few females a twenty gallon tank or larger should be used. The cage should have a screen lid on top of it to prevent any escapes. Leopard geckos need places to hide and sleep during the day so you must provide a couple of hiding spots. They need a warm hiding spot and a cold humid hiding spot. Just put one hide box on the side with the heat light and put the humid hide box on the side that does not have the heat light. I actually prefer an under the tank heater for heat source rather than a light since the geckos are Nocturnal. For the humid hide box, Paper Towels work well and easily replaced inside a hide box. You can make your own humid hide box from a small plastic shoe box or from a margarine conatiner. Cut a hole in one end of the container and place moist paper towel inside it. The humid box should be cleaned out every week and re moistened. A humid hide box is needed so that the gecko can go in it when it needs to shed. The humidity helps the old skin come off.
Substrate: There is an abundance of products on the market that claim to be safe substrates. All Loose Substrates (Please note the link above) however are not safe to use. A substrate is what you put on the bottom of the cage for the lizard to walk around on. If a Leopard Gecko ingests any of the substrate accidentally, the substrate must pass through the digestive system. Trust me they will ingest substrate, sometimes on purpose. If it does not easily pass through the digestive system compaction will occur. Compaction is an extreme blockage of the digestive tract and is often fatal. Some substrates that I consider unsafe because they can cause compaction are: sand, bark, Calci sand, crushed walnut shells, lizard litter, gravel, aquarium gravel, and coconut fiber. The safest substrate is using paper towels or plain newspaper, non-stick shelf liner , cage carpet or ceramic tile. For any leopard geckos that are younger than six months I advise using paper towels or plain newspaper until they are at least six months old. Calcium sand is not fully digested no matter what it claims. The stuff just does not break down completely. . Leopard Gecko Heating and Temperature: The cage should be between 82 to 88 degrees all day and night. There is two basic ways to heat the cage. One is to use a under tank heater like heat tape. The other is to use a black, or blue night incandescent heat light. I prefer to use a heat light. For a 10 gallon tank a 60 watt bulb should work depending on room temperature. Place the heat light on one end of the cage. By putting the heat light on one end of the cage it keeps that side warmest and allows the gecko to move to the warmer side with the light or to the colder side without the light as needed to regulate body temperature.
NEVER EVER USE A HOT ROCK, HEAT ROCK, OR ANY SIMILAR PRODUCT. Hot rocks heat unevenly and are notorious for causing terrible thermal burns. Do not buy a hot rock and if you know anyone who uses one, tell them to throw it away. Leopard Gecko Feeding: Leopard Geckos will do very well on a diet of mealworms and crickets. I like to provide some variety in feeder insects to create a more balanced diet. Feeder insects I use are silkworms, mealworms, roaches and crickets with the legs on one side of the body pulled off. Crickets will bite your geckos while they sleep, these bites are prone to infection, so if you pull off one side of their legs then they cannot move around the cage and get to the gecko and also this prevents the crickets from climbing out of the cage. Gut load feeder insects for at least a day before putting them in with the gecko. Feed geckos insects that are not larger than the width of the head of the gecko.
Adults can be fed superworms, though I advise only feeding a couple superworms at a time. Leopard Gecko Vitamin/Mineral Supplement: For young geckos dust the feeder insects every other feeding or place a small feeder dish with supplement in it and some mealworms in the cage. For adults and babies place a shallow dish or a plastic lid in the cage with a teaspoon of calcium powder on it. The gecko will lick the calcium powder as needed. You still need to dust feeder insects every other feeding though with a vitamin supplement for young geckos. Adults use vitamin supplement once a week. Leopard Gecko Water: Use a shallow water bowl, fill with water as needed. Remove bowl from cage and clean out weekly.

Do Not Feed Pinkies

Herp Vets in Fl: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/florida.html

Customer
Oh my God no! will he be ok? wow. Okay what is that other solution with the h2o where can i get it?
Customer
thank you
Customer

baby human food or reptile?

The mixture is 1/2 warm water and 1/2 plain Pedialyte which is an electrolyte solution used for infants to keep them from dehydration. Put the mixture in a shallow container up to the area under the legs. Allow the Leo to soak for 15 - 20 mins. The food would be human chicken or a meat baby food and mix some calcium powder in with it. just drop a bit on the snout and allow the Leo to lick it off. Most of the time they will accept this. He will need to see the Herp Vet asap for treatment as this is only first aid. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.