My leopard gecko has stopped eating in the last few weeks. he is still shedding regularly but his tail and body have

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My leopard gecko has stopped eating in the last few weeks. he is still shedding regularly but his tail and body have become noticibly thinner. He also seems to have a problem opening his left eye, i havent seen it open in over a week and continuelsy licks his right eye like he is trying to see clearly. We have him in a sanded habitat but the humidity and temp seem to be right on. He is becoming more sluggish and i am afraid he is going to die. I recently just got a female gecko and added her to his habitat she seems to be active and healthy he interacts with her sometimes but seems to stay in his rock hiding most of the time. What can i do to try to save him
Answered by Jav917 in 4 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Can you tell me about your set up?

Substrate?

Hides? Moist?

Temps?

Humidity?

Joan

Customer
he lives in a twenty gallon tank with the calcium enriched sand. he has a large rock looking shelter and a few vines and such. He has a heat pad under one side of his tank and uses both a night and day time bulb. the heat is at eighty degrees, and the humidity at about 60%

The calcium sand can be a major problem. The sand has a serious problem causing intestinal impactions. The reasons we see leos go off food is incorrect temps, an impaction or a parasite issue. If your temps are correct we need to look at the possibility of an intestinal impaction or a parsite issue. In the mean time we can do some first aid. Please give the Leo a nice soak in 1/2 warm water and 1/2 Plain Pedialyte for about 15 mins. This will offer some fluids via the vent area which will prevent dehydration. Next to try and feed use some type of meat baby food mixed with calcium powder, by dropping on the snout and allowing the Leio to lick it off. I do suggest the Leo see a Herp Vet for a a fecal exam and check up especially if this first aid does not seem to perk up your Leo. If you need a Herp vet please let me know and I will be happy to try and locate one in your area. I am also going to give you my care sheet. Joan

. Please read it and then hit reply for further help.

http://homepage.mac.com/exoticdvm/reptile/PhotoAlbum181.html Sand Impaction

Leopard Gecko Care Sheet

The Leopard Gecko is originally from Pakistan, India, and a few other countries in Asia. They actually live on hard rocky outcrops and they are nocturnal (active at night). They prefer temperatures between 82 and 88 degrees all day and night. They grow to between 8 to 11 inches. Leopard Geckos are available in a wide range of colors and patterns which are the result of selective captive breeding. These include albino, ghost, striped, jungle, Leucistic and high yellow. These colors have been made possible through selective captive breeding. Leopard Geckos make wonderful pets for almost any age person. Leopard Geckos also make good long term pets. They can live over twenty years. Never grab by tail it will break off. Leopard Gecko Housing: A male Leopard Gecko should never be housed in the same cage as another male leopard gecko because they will fight and possibly kill one another. A male can be housed with several females without any problems. I do not advise housing leopard geckos in the same cage with any other reptiles. A single Leopard Gecko can be kept in a ten gallon tank. For a male and a few females a twenty gallon tank or larger should be used. The cage should have a screen lid on top of it to prevent any escapes. Leopard geckos need places to hide and sleep during the day so you must provide a couple of hiding spots. They need a warm hiding spot and a cold humid hiding spot. Just put one hide box on the side with the heat light and put the humid hide box on the side that does not have the heat light. I actually prefer an under the tank heater for heat source rather than a light since the geckos are Nocturnal. For the humid hide box, Paper Towels work well and easily replaced inside a hide box. You can make your own humid hide box from a small plastic shoe box or from a margarine conatiner. Cut a hole in one end of the container and place moist paper towel inside it. The humid box should be cleaned out every week and re moistened. A humid hide box is needed so that the gecko can go in it when it needs to shed. The humidity helps the old skin come off.
Substrate: There is an abundance of products on the market that claim to be safe substrates. All Loose Substrates (Please note the link above) however are not safe to use. A substrate is what you put on the bottom of the cage for the lizard to walk around on. If a Leopard Gecko ingests any of the substrate accidentally, the substrate must pass through the digestive system. Trust me they will ingest substrate, sometimes on purpose. If it does not easily pass through the digestive system compaction will occur. Compaction is an extreme blockage of the digestive tract and is often fatal. Some substrates that I consider unsafe because they can cause compaction are: sand, bark, Calci sand, crushed walnut shells, lizard litter, gravel, aquarium gravel, and coconut fiber. The safest substrate is using paper towels or plain newspaper, non-stick shelf liner , cage carpet or ceramic tile. For any leopard geckos that are younger than six months I advise using paper towels or plain newspaper until they are at least six months old. Calcium sand is not fully digested no matter what it claims. The stuff just does not break down completely. . Leopard Gecko Heating and Temperature: The cage should be between 82 to 88 degrees all day and night. There is two basic ways to heat the cage. One is to use a under tank heater like heat tape. The other is to use a black, or blue night incandescent heat light. I prefer to use a heat light. For a 10 gallon tank a 60 watt bulb should work depending on room temperature. Place the heat light on one end of the cage. By putting the heat light on one end of the cage it keeps that side warmest and allows the gecko to move to the warmer side with the light or to the colder side without the light as needed to regulate body temperature.
NEVER EVER USE A HOT ROCK, HEAT ROCK, OR ANY SIMILAR PRODUCT. Hot rocks heat unevenly and are notorious for causing terrible thermal burns. Do not buy a hot rock and if you know anyone who uses one, tell them to throw it away. Leopard Gecko Feeding: Leopard Geckos will do very well on a diet of mealworms and crickets. I like to provide some variety in feeder insects to create a more balanced diet. Feeder insects I use are silkworms, mealworms, roaches and crickets with the legs on one side of the body pulled off. Crickets will bite your geckos while they sleep, these bites are prone to infection, so if you pull off one side of their legs then they cannot move around the cage and get to the gecko and also this prevents the crickets from climbing out of the cage. Gut load feeder insects for at least a day before putting them in with the gecko. Feed geckos insects that are not larger than the width of the head of the gecko.
Adults can be fed superworms, though I advise only feeding a couple superworms at a time. Leopard Gecko Vitamin/Mineral Supplement: For young geckos dust the feeder insects every other feeding or place a small feeder dish with supplement in it and some mealworms in the cage. For adults and babies place a shallow dish or a plastic lid in the cage with a teaspoon of calcium powder on it. The gecko will lick the calcium powder as needed. You still need to dust feeder insects every other feeding though with a vitamin supplement for young geckos. Adults use vitamin supplement once a week. Leopard Gecko Water: Use a shallow water bowl, fill with water as needed. Remove bowl from cage and clean out weekly.

Do Not Feed Pinkies

Customer
what kind of subsrate shoudl i be using then and what about the new gecko i just put in there? also should he be completly submerged in this water/pedialyte mixture?

A solid substrate from tile or slate, cage carpet, paper or non slip shelf liner will work. The new geck should be quarantined at least 30 days for the health of both geckos. The soak should only come up underneath the legs. We want the vent area covered, but we do not want to submerge the gecko for fear of aspiration of the water into the lungs. Joan

Customer

so if it is impaction what would that have to do with not being able to open his eye? and how long should we try to do these at home remedies before going to a vet?

The opening the eye may be retained shed, or may be an abrasion from the substrate. What I have given you are basic first aid and not meant to replace a Herp Vet visit, but to help until you can get the Leo into a Herp Vet. It sometimes takes a day or two to get an appointment. These measures are to help keep the Leo from getting worse. If you would like to supply a State or Country I will be happy to get you a vet list for your area. Joan

Customer
we are in kenosha wi. and i am not sure we are able to afford a vt visit.. is there any chance this will clear up from just in home care?

You can try this, but if it is a parasite issue or a serious impaction, at that time the Vet visit will be needed. I will give you a link for Herp Vets in your area. Most Herp Vet visits run about $65.00 on the low side. Joan

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/wisconsin.html

Customer

how will we know if these things are working can you tell immediatly if he is gettingbetter?? thank you so much for all of your help

If these measures are working, you will notice him passing normal stool, more activity, willing to eat on his own, and starting to gain weight. You should notice some improvement within 3-4 days. The willing to accept food and activity level will be a big indicator. Joan

Customer
i will start this procedure tonight thank you for all of your help.

It is my pleasure to be of help for the animals and the people they own. I hope these measures will help your Leo. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.