I am worried about my Herman tortoise. He's been in hibernation in a box in my garage since the middle of November. We

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I am worried about my Herman tortoise. He's been in hibernation in a box in my garage since the middle of November. We have checked on him and his head is in the shell but two legs are out of the shell. He didn't move. Does it sound as if he might be dead?
Answered by Anna in 27 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

It can be difficult to tell if a tortoise is dead, and it's best to assume he's alive until you know otherwise. Bring him inside and give him a good soak in a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 Pedialyte and 1/2 water. It only needs to be deep enough to cover the vent. Reptiles can absorb fluids through their vents, so this will help with dehydration. Keep his nostrils out of the water. The soak should be for 20 to 30 minutes. Repeat twice a day. Keep your tortoise indoors and give him these baths for a couple of days. If at any point, you see signs of life, take your tortoise to a reptile vet. It's common for infections to develop during hibernation, so if your tortoise is alive, he may need treatment. This link will take you to a directory of reptile vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

If your tortoise revives, be sure that you provide all the correct conditions for him. Here's a site where you can read about what needs to be done:

You can read more about diet and care at the following reputable site:

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-easthermanns.htm

There's an excellent chance that your tortoise is alive, so please do everything you can to help him. If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your tortoise will be fine.

Anna
Hi again. I just noticed in your fed\edback post that you had a question about Pedialyte. Yes, Dioralyte would be the same You can also make a homemade substitute. Here's the recipe:

1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. table salt
1/2 tsp. potassium salt
3 tsp. sugar

Mix it all with 1 liter water.

The potassium salt is potassium chloride. It's sold in grocery stores as a salt substitute. Once you have the solution made, you'd mix it 1/2 solution and 1/2 water just as you would the commercial brands of electrolytes.

There's no need to click on accept again. Thank you for accepting above.

Anna

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.