We also have an adult turtle that I rescued about 4 years ago and he recently had the same problem however it seemed to

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: we also have an adult turtle that I rescued about 4 years ago and he recently had the same problem however it seemed to go away on its own.
Answered by Jav917 in 5 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

I need to know about the set up?

Diet?

Type of turtle?

Supplements?

UVB? How old? Type?

Temps?

Joan

Customer

we have a male red eared slider turtle that I rescued 3 years ago. I assume he was a couple years old when I found him in an abandoned apartment. The tank water was so black you could not see him in there. He has been growing and seems to have been pretty healthy considering his unlucky start.... He lives in a 55 gallon tank with two goldfish and six snails.We used only pellets to feed him until we read that they were not adequate. Now we feed him a mixture of worms, ladybugs, crickets,shrimp and even radiccio.....uvb 7 water is room temp and he seems to like it that way... he got the large bump on the side of his head but his went away..However we have another red eared slider female that we got in july she is a little bigger than a half dollar.She is in a 10 gallon tank uvb 40 w day lite 40 w heat. we keep the water level kind of low about 2 1/2 inches high. she has these lumps on both sides of her head it is so bad she is having a hard time eating it looks very painful.... We have stopped giving her the pellets and she is eating the same things as our other turtle... please help

What you are describing is an aural abscess. This needs to be done by a Herp Vet. They will open the abscesses and clean them and give an antibiotic. The correct diet for a slider is 50% greens, 25% pellets and 25% live prey or cooked meats. It is important to use a UVB light changed every 6 months and a calcium supplements like a cuttle bone. Joan

This is an example of an ear abscess graphic:

http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/Terrapene_Ear_Infection.htm

Customer
what is this from?

Abscess is trapped bacteria in the ear cavity. It is common in turtles and needs to cleaned and an antibiotic to clear it up. Joan

Joan40203.923009375
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.