My juvenile water dragon has really dry eyes. I keep her encloseure as humid as I can. She hasn't shed yet, and it

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My juvenile water dragon has really dry eyes. I keep her encloseure as humid as I can. She hasn't shed yet, and it doesn't look like she's ready to yet. But her eyelids are so dry she sometimes has a hardtime closing them. She drinks alot, and I spay her with a safe reptile moiturizer, which seems to help, but only for a little while. Also, while she was sleeping once, I noticed her eye started to bulge out. It freaked me out, but I went online, and found some advice that said they occasionally do that to strech their skin to aid in shedding. But like I said it doesn't look like she's shedding yet. She hasn't done it since, but eyelids still really dry. Does that sound normal. Any opinions or advice?
Answered by Jav917 in 13 hours 12 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Can you tell me about the set up?

Diet?

Substrate?

Temps?

UVB? How old? Bulb type? Compact or tube?

Heat source?

Supplements?

Joan

Customer

Home is plexi / plywood, about 4ft long 2ft wide 2 ft high.

Diet is mostly gut loaded crickets. It's all she will eat right now. Won't take veggies, though I offer.

No substrate. I use a vinyl floor. In the petstore she was kept in really soggy dirt. It took 2 days for her to blink all of the dirt out of her eyes. One of the reasons I hesitate using loose substrate unless I have an egg laying adult.

Temp is 80 in most parts during the day with a basking hammock that gets about 85. Night is 75-80.

3 compact lamp domes. One is a 75 watt day UVA that switches to a 75 watt night bulb. Both are no more than a couple weeks old. Second is a small 40 watt ceramic heat emitter, about a year and a half old. Basking spot is over a foot away from this and temp reads about 85 on closest spot. Third is a 75 watt ceramic heat emitter ( a month old) on the far end of the terrerium. No basking spots near it. Floor temp reads 80 under it, and her bath nearby stays a little colder than room temp. Bath gets replaced at least twice a day. No other heat sources besides these. I don't think heat stickers are supposed to go on plexi, and I'm not sure I trust these any more than heat rocks.

Only supplement I'm doing right now is calcium powder with her meal. I gave a baby dragon in the past D supplements which killed it. I had no idea how toxic supplementing that stuff could be. Pet stores sell it in calcium with no warnings on it. So I'm afraid to give her anything other than a little bit of plain ol calcium with her bugs.

You may need to add a dripper to the tank to add some Humidity. This will help quite a bit. You can make one with a dish, a pump and an air stone. You have not mentioned a UVB bulb which is very important. This will help metabolize the calcium. For the eyes you can use a plain saline eye drops without several times a day. This will help the dryness . You are correct about the D3 it can cause some neurological issues. If this does not help then a Herp Vet visit may be needed to find an underlying cause. Joan

Joan40197.9696341435
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.