I have just set up my viv and got a heating pad which I have been told to place under a ceramic tile, this I have done,

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have just set up my viv and got a heating pad which I have been told to place under a ceramic tile, this I have done, also I have a "special reptile" fluorescent light installed, I am a little concerned about the temperature of the viv in general as well as the tile, as it is quite warm to the touch around 39 degrees Celsius, I have about 3cm of floor covering over it. The air temperature inside the viv on the tile side is 29-30 Degrees Celsius and on the opposite side is 28-29. This is with the fluorescent light off.
Can somebody please give me some guidance on weather I should switch everything off at night (as it would get cooler at night in the wild) or
should I keep the temperature 24h a day as above.
Answered by Anna in 2 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

What kind of reptile do you have?

Thank you.

Anna
Customer
Hi, its a Corn Snake, 3 years old male
Thank you. You're right to be concerned about the temperatures. The floor temperature is way too high. If the temperature of the mat is adjustable, I would turn it down. If not, it may be defective. You should have a temperature gradient of 23*C to 29*C degrees in the non-basking areas. That's what your under-the-tank heating pad should maintain. Never use the heated rocks. A basking area that's warmer (around 29.5*C to 32*C ) than the rest of the enclosure is also needed in the day time. At night, you can turn everything off. Room temperature should be adequate unless you keep your house very cool.

Make sure your snake also has a hide box, a water bowl big enough to bathe in (it doesn’t matter where you place it), and a branch to climb on. If you take a small branch from outside rather than buying it from a pet store, it will need to be disinfected. There is a lot of conflicting and false information on corn snake care available. Here's a site specific to corn and rat snakes with lots of good information, including how to disinfect a branch.

http://www.anapsid.org/corn.html

Here is another reliable source of information :

http://www.wnyherp.org/care-sheets/snakes/corn-snake.php

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope you'll enjoy many years with your snake.

Anna
Customer
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a little conussed..... are you saying that I should take the ceramic tile out of the enclosure "all together" and place the heated mat under the enclosure itself, I ask you because the dealer that sold us the snake earlier today toild us to place the mat under a ceramic tile inside the enclosure and then have the floor coverage over it all ??
Thank you for our pointers, we do have everything else you suggest in the enclosure already.
Just to claryfly the matt/ceramic tile is about one third of the size of the enclosure.
Will switch all off at night as the room temperature where the enclosure is is around 20 degrees celsius at Night.
What about the fluorescent light? should this be switched on during the day? if so for how long?
The typical heat mats are made to go under the cage or tank itself. Unless yours is different, that may be why it's maintaining a temperature that is too high. Try it underneath everything, and see if that helps. The fluorescent light can be left on for 12 to 14 hours each day.

If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

Anna
Customer
Excellent thank you, XXXXX XXXXX sure is a typical mat, will certainly ask more if I need to, thanks and regards
You're welcome.

Anna
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.