My female beared dragon(4 years old) is laying eggs, but as she did last year is not laying in a clutch. I am unsure if

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: my female beared dragon(4 years old) is laying eggs, but as she did last year is not laying in a clutch. I am unsure if i should take them out as she lays and put them in the incubator, or leave them until she has finished, am afraid she will crush them. But she layed them over a 9 day period last year(11 eggs in total). None hatched. And what temp do you suggest i have the incubator on.
Answered by Anna in 8 hours 12 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Some additional information will help me to answer your question.

Is your beardie laying her eggs in a nest box?

Last year, how did you handle the eggs as you put them in the incubator?

Thank you.

Anna
Customer
No she will not use the box, it has dampened sand in it. Last year I used a plastic spoon to carefully pick up the eggs with out turning them an place them in damp vermiculite. They were then place in the incubator in an air tight container at 30 degrees. She has now laid 3 eggs on the 31st but nothing today and we can she she still has eggs in her.
Thank you for getting back to me. You'll want your incubator set at about 28*C. It's also important to prepare the vermiculite properly and monitor the humidity. It will take about 60 days for the eggs to hatch. The following site has all the details you'll need from breeding to hatchling care:

http://repticzone.com/articles/beardeddragonbreeding101hrtmtn.html

It's best to leave the eggs where she buries them until she's finished laying, then move them all at once. You'll neeed to watch her carefully to make sure she doesn't become eggbound, or develop other egg-laying difficulties. Be sure she's getting plenty of calcium - dust her food well with plain calcium powder. If she doesn't lay more eggs within 24 hours, it would be a good idea to call a reptile vet. This link will take you to a directory of them. Scroll down for the UK section.

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

Once she lays eggs, give her a soak in a warm shallow bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 Lectaid. Also add a little calcium powder. Let her soak in that for 20 to 30 minutes. Then give her a good meal.

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope all will go well.

Anna

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.