My son has a tail Lizard. He has not been him self the past two days. He is not eating his crickets and seems lethargic.

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi! My son has a long tail Lizard. He has not been him self the past two days. He is not eating his crickets and seems lethargic. We held the crickets in front of his mouth for him and acts like he can't see them but opens up his mouth. Does he need to go to the Vet? Or is there something we can give him?
Answered by Jav917 in 14 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Can you tellme about the set up?

UVB?

Supplements?

Has he been passing stool?

Is the weather changing where you live?

Joan

Customer

Hi!!

Yes he has a UVB, we get his crickets dustedwith vitamins. Yes the weather has changed it has gotten really cold out. My husband cleaned his cage two days ago so we can't notice if there is any stools in cage. He did just eat one cricket where he usually eats about 2 0r 3 a day.

I do believe that your Lizard is getting ready to brumate for the winter.

Brumation can go on for several months. We see this in Lizards when the weather changes. As soon as the weather starts changing and the light cycle starts to change the Lizards and other reptiles, start to go in brumation. Joan

http://lllreptile.com/info/library/care-and-husbandry-articles/-/reptilian-brumation/

Customer

so what do we need to do? Anything?

At this point it is basically letting nature take its course. As long as the weather remains cold the Lizard will slow down and stop eating. You can get a gram scale and weigh once a week to be sure there is no weight loss. Offer water and prey, but do not leave the prey in if the Lizard will not eat. Shorten the light cycle, but make sure you have a heat light and the UVB light at least 8 hours of the day.Normally thelight cycle is 12-14 hours day. You can mist him to prevent dehydration. If you notice weight loss, at that point the Lizard should see a Herp Vet., since they usually do not loose weight during Brumation. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.