My red eared slider has a developed a red coloring on the back of his/her shell. It is around the bottom, maybe about a

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My red eared slider has a developed a red coloring on the back of his/her shell. It is around the bottom, maybe about a half an inch up. Not sure what to do. She is about 2-3 years old. Was recently very lethargic adn would not eat. We determined the tank temp was oo cold, cleaned out the tank, bought a new filter and heater and since then the turtle has been active and eating again but now had developed this "stuff" on it.
Answered by Jav917 in 6 hours 13 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Can you post a picture of the slider? Use the tree Icon to upload the picture

I also need to know about Lighting? UVB and how old?

Supplements?

Diet?

Set up?

Joan

Customer
Lighting is a fluorescent for the tank- I did buy a proper light today, diet- reptile sticks- brand Tetra ReptoMin, no supplements, tank is 45 gallon, river rocks in the bottom, Tetra Advanced filter for 30-60 gallons, added 2 ReptoGuard tablets when tank was re-filled last weekend, submerged water heater, current temp about 76 was closer to 80 when added her back in last weekend, floating turtle platform. I had to take her out for a good picture. You can see there is a little green on the shell in some rigdes and then what looks to be red "stuff" along the bottom areas. I rubbed a little with a towel when I took her out and it came off- on the towel it looked more dark brown than red. Sad to admit I just recently learned much more about proper care as the turtle has been very healthy and very active and not until she stopped eating did I do the research I probably should have some time ago. I fed her greens today- she gobbled them up. Bought a 100 watt turtle bulb and we are building a proper basking area. Went to 3 pet stores today and no one really knew anything about them. I hope this is just some algea I can clean off, but did not want to assume that and it be more serious. graphic

I and a colleague reviewed the picture and we have come to the conclusion that this is not an abnormal condition. It looks like the scutes are getting ready to shed or have already shed leaving the color difference. I think it is safe to say that the turtle will be fine. When you had said red I was concerned about septicemia, but the shell looks to be in fine shape. I do want to give you a better care sheet as the diet and supplements need improvements. The diet should be 50% leafy greens or aquatic plants, 25% pellets and 25% cooked meats or live prey ie :snails, worms or crickets. Calcium is very important and a cuttle bone works wonders for these turtles. The UVB light should be changed every 6 months for optimum help to prevent MBD. Joan

Care sheet: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1261

Customer
Is it okay to clean off his shell with a soft towel or just let it be? I know sometimes nature takes care of itself so I dont want to disrupt anything. Thank you so much- I read about septicemia myself online and was very concerned.

A soft tooth brush can be used on the shell to help with shedding scutes. I do recommend a Herp vet visit before brumation time to be sure that they have a good sleep without loosing weight or any problems. Joan

Please accept if the information has been of help. Wink

Joan40132.1967145486
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.