Leopard gecko, had hime for 1 month eating well, crickets few mealworms, use papertowel substrate. stopped eating 3 days

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: leopard gecko, had hime for 1 month eating well, crickets few mealworms, use papertowel substrate. stopped eating 3 days ago, gave some jumpstart supplement, think he shed last nite. there was a long ball of skin on his rock. still wont eat today. put a wax worm in his mouth, he did eat it, but not willingly. should i continue to force feed? tail still is plump. gave him a warm pedialyte soak yesterday, hate to lose hime at a loss. moved him into a 20 gallon from a 10, he quit eting 2 days after so i moved him back into the samller tank. undertank heatpad, tank stays between 80-85. just hides between his rocks
Answered by Jav917 in 39 mins 13 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

It sounds like your Leo has been shedding. When they shed they will go off food until the shed is over. The Pedilayte soak is good to prevent dehydration, but you should do it 50%/50% with warm water. Do not try to force feed. What you can do is take some chicken baby food and mix with calcium powder and some pedialyte. Then drop on the snout and allow to lick it up. This is safer than trying to force feeding since force feeding can lead to aspiration into the lungs. If the Leo does not start eating I would have him into a Herp Vet for an exam. They will need to do a fecal to rule out parasites. I can locate a Herp Vet with a state or Country. Joan

Customer
trying to find a vet fairly close, live in Sebring Fl. will do the chicken baby food. how long can they go without eating? is it best to feed crickets or mealworms. i do not see any trace of shedding on him. this is my first gecko, just assumed he shed by the two long balls of what looked like old skin. i took it out, i've read they eat it. should i have left it in there?

They usually eat their shed and what you had seen is what he could not eat. They can go for days without eating since during the winter months they slow down and basically will stop for a seasonal shutdown. I will be happy to give you a link to find Herp Vets in Fl. http://www.anapsid.org/vets/florida.html Joan

Customer
should i try to give him the baby chicken or leave him alone? how long can he go without eating before i need to take him to a vet, looks like the closest one is 100 miles, but will do it if he is in danger

If he is going to brumate for the winter he may not shut down all the way or he may just go down for a while. Try the chicken baby food mixture tomorrow and see if he licks it. When they brumate, we usually try to keep the stomach empty so the food does not rot in the stomach. They can go for a couple of weeks without eating if active, but if brumating they can go a couple of months without eating. At this point just take a wait and see stand before running to the Herp Vet. Joan

Customer
when they brumate, do they just lie there and not move? not trying to come off stupid, just want to save my little friend

This tells some about brumation, it is not up to date, but should give you more of an idea about Brumation. Joan

http://lllreptile.com/info/library/care-and-husbandry-articles/-/reptilian-brumation/

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.