I use a heat lamp over the top of my 40 gallon tank for my turtles. the problem is that when I leave it on all during

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I use a heat lamp over the top of my 40 gallon tank for my wood turtles. the problem is that when I leave it on all during the day, it overheats the turtles. The wattage on the bulb is 100 watts. But if I leave it off during the day the turtles get too cold. dfo you know of any solution to this problem?
Answered by Jav917 in 12 mins 13 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

To solve this problem you can use a lower watt bulb. A regular household bulb is fine for basking a 60 watt or 75 watt is perfect. The other choice is to get a light stand and and hang the light at a higher level. The stands are adjustable and you can use the dome light that has a hanger to supply the basking light. The UVB does not give off heat, so that should not be an issue. Joan

This is what it looks like:

Joan-Mod40107.1364087153
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.