My son was given a 1 year old lepord geko but I think it is blind I dont think it has eyes and he wont eat crickets or

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: my son was given a 1 year old lepord geko but I think it is blind I dont think it has eyes and he wont eat crickets or meal worms. what should we do? or will it even servive?
Answered by Anna in 4 mins 13 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Some additional information will help me to answer your question.

Does the gecko look like there is white skin or a whitish film where the eyes should be?

What temeperature do you maintain in the cage?

Has the gecko been passing any droppings since you got it?

What substrate do you use on the floor?

Thank you.

Anna

Customer

no

75-78

once

it had sand but we just got reptile carpet. a friend told me to do.

Thank you for getting back to me. It was a good idea to get rid of the sand. It can cause impaction, eye infections, and respiratory distress. Since the gecko has passed some droppings, it is probably not impacted.

I'm going to give you a first aid measure. If the gecko is a bit dehydrated, it will not eat. Buy some Pedialyte (made for human infants and available in discount stores and pharmacies). Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 Pedialyte and 1/2 warm water. Soak the gecko for 20 to 30 minutes. Supervise closely - you don't want him to escape or drown. Lizards can absorb fluids through their vents, so this will help.

The temperatures in the enclosure are a bit too cool. That alone can cause appetite loss. The temperature gradient in the tank should be 82*F to 88*F day and night. An unhealthy gecko is better off with warmer temperatures.

We still need to figure out what is going on with the eyes. It would be very unusual for a gecko to not have eyes at all. Is it possible for you to post a photo of the eyes? If so, you can upload one by hitting REPLY, then clicking on the little green tree icon in the tool bar. If it's not possible for you to post a photo, let me know that, too, and we'll go from there.

I’m also sending along a care sheet, courtesy of Joan, another of our experts. You can use it as a checklist to make sure all the conditions are right. If you have more questions,and to let me know about the photo, just click on REPLY.

Anna

Leopard Gecko Care Sheet

The Leopard Gecko is originally from Pakistan, India, and a few other countries in Asia. They actually live on hard rocky outcrops and they are nocturnal (active at night). They prefer temperatures between 82 and 88 degrees all day and night. They grow to between 8 to 11 inches. Leopard Geckos are available in a wide range of colors and patterns which are the result of selective captive breeding. These include albino, ghost, striped, jungle, Leucistic and high yellow. These colors have been made possible through selective captive breeding. Leopard Geckos make wonderful pets for almost any age person. Leopard Geckos also make good long term pets. They can live over twenty years. Never grab by tail it will break off. Leopard Gecko Housing: A male Leopard Gecko should never be housed in the same cage as another male leopard gecko because they will fight and possibly kill one another. A male can be housed with several females without any problems. I do not advise housing leopard geckos in the same cage with any other reptiles. A single Leopard Gecko can be kept in a ten gallon tank. For a male and a few females a twenty gallon tank or larger should be used. The cage should have a screen lid on top of it to prevent any escapes. Leopard geckos need places to hide and sleep during the day so you must provide a couple of hiding spots. They need a warm hiding spot and a cold humid hiding spot. Just put one hide box on the side with the heat light and put the humid hide box on the side that does not have the heat light. I actually prefer an under the tank heater for heat source rather than a light since the geckos are Nocturnal. For the humid hide box, Paper Towels work well and easily replaced inside a hide box. You can make your own humid hide box from a small plastic shoe box or from a margarine conatiner. Cut a hole in one end of the container and place moist paper towel inside it. The humid box should be cleaned out every week and re moistened. A humid hide box is needed so that the gecko can go in it when it needs to shed. The humidity helps the old skin come off.

Substrate: There is an abundance of products on the market that claim to be safe substrates. All Loose Substrates (Please note the link above) however are not safe to use. A substrate is what you put on the bottom of the cage for the lizard to walk around on. If a Leopard Gecko ingests any of the substrate accidentally, the substrate must pass through the digestive system. Trust me they will ingest substrate, sometimes on purpose. If it does not easily pass through the digestive system compaction will occur. Compaction is an extreme blockage of the digestive tract and is often fatal. Some substrates that I consider unsafe because they can cause compaction are: sand, bark, Calci sand, crushed walnut shells, lizard litter, gravel, aquarium gravel, and coconut fiber. The safest substrate is using paper towels or plain newspaper, non-stick shelf liner , cage carpet or ceramic tile. For any leopard geckos that are younger than six months I advise using paper towels or plain newspaper until they are at least six months old. Calcium sand is not fully digested no matter what it claims. The stuff just does not break down completely.

Leopard Gecko Heating and Temperature: The cage should be between 82 to 88 degrees all day and night. There is two basic ways to heat the cage. One is to use a under tank heater like heat tape. The other is to use a black, or blue night incandescent heat light. I prefer to use a heat light. For a 10 gallon tank a 60 watt bulb should work depending on room temperature. Place the heat light on one end of the cage. By putting the heat light on one end of the cage it keeps that side warmest and allows the gecko to move to the warmer side with the light or to the colder side without the light as needed to regulate body temperature. NEVER EVER USE A HOT ROCK, HEAT ROCK, OR ANY SIMILAR PRODUCT. Hot rocks heat unevenly and are notorious for causing terrible thermal burns. Do not buy a hot rock and if you know anyone who uses one, tell them to throw it away.

Leopard Gecko Feeding: Leopard Geckos will do very well on a diet of mealworms and crickets. I like to provide some variety in feeder insects to create a more balanced diet. Feeder insects I use are silkworms, mealworms, roaches and crickets with the legs on one side of the body pulled off. Crickets will bite your geckos while they sleep, these bites are prone to infection, so if you pull off one side of their legs then they cannot move around the cage and get to the gecko and also this prevents the crickets from climbing out of the cage. Gut load feeder insects for at least a day before putting them in with the gecko. Feed geckos insects that are not larger than the width of the head of the gecko.Adults can be fed superworms, though I advise only feeding a couple superworms at a time. Leopard Gecko Vitamin/Mineral Supplement: For young geckos dust the feeder insects every other feeding or place a small feeder dish with supplement in it and some mealworms in the cage. For adults and babies place a shallow dish or a plastic lid in the cage with a teaspoon of calcium powder on it. The gecko will lick the calcium powder as needed. You still need to dust feeder insects every other feeding though with a vitamin supplement for young geckos. Adults use vitamin supplement once a week. Leopard Gecko Water: Use a shallow water bowl, fill with water as needed. Remove bowl from cage and clean out weekly.

Do Not Feed Pinkies

Customer
graphic
The gecko may have been blinded due to abrasion from the sand he was housed on before, or he may have had an eye infection. The first thing to do is have him examined by a reptile vet to find out if the condition can be treated. This link will take you to a directory of vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

A blind gecko can survive, but would need some special care. You'll have to help him find his food. However, first of all do everything that's necessary to stimulate his appetite: a soak and the warmer temperatures. Then, you can dropping a dollop of chicken baby food with a little plain calcium powder mixed in right on the end of his snout. Most lizards will lick it off. After he starts eating well, you can try to do the same with a silkworm. Never leave crickets in the cage with him as they will bite him. If this sounds like more work than you bargained for, you could turn the gecko over to a rescue group. If you want to do that, this link will take you to listings:

http://www.anapsid.org/societies/index.html#lists

I hope the situation works out for you.

Anna
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.