We have had a wild caught horned lizard for quite a while now & he was doing well. We fed him crickets, mealworms and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: We have had a wild caught horned lizard for quite a while now & he was doing well. We fed him crickets, mealworms and wild caught ants dusted with desert reptile vitamin and calcium powder and made sure he had water available as well as a shaded shelter from the heat. He was eating well until a couple of weeks ago & just shed yesterday so we know he was growing. He was also defecating regularly so we thought he was off his feed due to the shed. In the last few days he was eating again. Sadly, just now when we went to feed him, we found that he had died. We are heartbroken as we had really become attached to the little guy and were holding out hope that he was adjusting to captivity. It was an exceptionally hot day today...110, but he was shaded and had access to water. He was originally from Joshua Tree which is far hotter than San Diego.What could have caused him to die when he had been apparently been doing well? We don't want this to happen again if we caught another horned lizard.
Answered by Jav917 in 45 mins 13 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

It seems like your Lizard had a good home. Unfortunately wild caught lizards do carry heavy paraite loads, and this may have been the issue with this Lizard. Without a necrosy it would impossible to give you a definative cause of death. I am going to give you a link by on of the best know MHD sources. Froggie B http://www.froggieb.com/MHDCaresheet.html#temper

This should help you in the future if you do get another MHD. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.