I found a small lizard/gecko on my back porch here in El Paso, TX it is tan and with spots on the head and back and a

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I found a small lizard/gecko on my back porch here in El Paso, TX it is tan and brown with spots on the head and back and a banded tail. Can you tell me what it is so I can either release it or keep it and care for it properly. Thanks for any info. you can provide me. I can provide pic's of it if that would help.
Answered by Jav917 in 2 mins 13 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Does this look like the Lizard?

Joan

Customer
No it has dark eyes and a much skinnier tail.

You can post a picture by using the tree icon in the tool bar. That will help identify the lizard. Joan

Customer
I don't seem to have that icon anywhere on my screen

You should have a tool bar that lools like this:

It is inbetween the link and the you tube

Joan

Does this look more like it?

... Peninsular Banded Gecko

Customer
graphic40013.2704808681

Your picture did not post. If you want you can send it to [email protected] and the moderator can forward it on to me. I did post a picture of a juvenile for you to look at. Joan

The picture just came through. It looks like a new hatchling of a Mediteranian house gecko.

http://www.californiaherps.com/lizards/pages/h.turcicus.html

They not do very well in captivity. They are nocturnal and need crickets or flightless fruit flies to eat. As small as the one you have found it may not be eating, but is probably still absorbing the yolk sac. If you should decide to try and keep it, you will need a 10 gallon tank with a screen lid. an under the tank heater. They eat at night so the activity level during the day is minimal. To help this one survive, you may want to put plain paper towels mositened in the bottom of a container to help with growth and shedding. mist the area several times a day since it will drink off the sides rather than out of a dish. You will need the flightless fruit flies and pinhead crickets dusted with calcium as a diet.

My honest suggestion would be to release this little Gecko and should you want to keep a reptile get a nice Leopard gecko. The wild caught lizards carry parasites and usually do not have a long life span unlike a domestic rasied gecko. Joan

Read less
unlike
1 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.