My Bearded dragon had some kind of 'fit' yesterday evening - violently crashing about the vivarium before going rigid

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My Bearded dragon had some kind of 'fit' yesterday evening - violently crashing about the vivarium before going rigid and rolling over and over on the floor. After a minute or so he went limp and lay there panting heavily. No prior warning and he seems ok today. I would be grateful for an opinion on this please. (Dragon about 9-10 years old I think and has always been in good health. Thanks. G.S.
Answered by Jav917 in 58 mins 13 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Canyou tell me about your set up?

Diet? Greens/Prey?

Substrate/bedding?

Temps and how measured?

UVB? Coil/ Tube? How old?

Supplements?

Joan

Customer
Hi, Joan. Thanks for responding. I inherited my daughters Bearded Dragon a couple of years ago when she moved and was unable to take him with her (landlords rules). I have continued with everything as he has always been kept and has been well and active, He eats a fair bit of varied greenery and fruit, and has locusts fairly regularly and mealworms once in a while. recently he has had some crickets for a change. I dust his food lightly with a supplement (Repton- I think). The vivarium is approx 800mm Wide, 550mm tall and 500mm deep. Lizard is about 300mm long and I guess 9-10 years old. The temp gauge in the vivarium has no scale just a 'temp correct' zone and is reading as it always has. The UV bulb is two years old and I will replace this asap just in case. The substate was purchased from a local reptile shop and was changed about two months ago - I don't know what the stuff is called but it is a medium grey coarse sand, again the same as he has always had. The suddenness of his attack was quite startling and violent. He seems fine now and is eating. (I refer to 'him' but am not actually sure what it's sex is. Please let me know what you think (our local vet has little knowledge of reptiles it seems). Best regards. XXXXX XXXXX.

There are several issues that may have happened. The first issue that comes to mind is a neurological issue which can be caused by a viatmin insufficiency or an overage of Vitamin D. There is also a possibility of a parasite issue. The sand in the tank is not the best substrate since it can cause an intestinal issue which caould cause pain this too can resemble a seizure. I assume you are in the UK. I do have a list of Herp vets who specialize in reptiles. I would suggest a good Herp Vet visit. If you supply a location I will give you the Vet listings with knowledge in your area. I am also going to give you my care sheet to help correct any issues that may be going on. In the mean time I would like you to give theDragon a nice soak in 1/2 warm water and 1/2 Pedialyte(in the UK it is Lecatade). Thsi will help with any dehydration. Joan

Bearded Dragon Care Sheet

• Bearded dragons should be housed alone.

• Ages of bearded dragons follow these guidelines:

1. 0-3 months- baby
2. 3-12 months-juvenile
3. 12-18 months- sub adult
4. 18 months + -adult

• Bearded dragons live as much as 10-12 years if well cared for properly.
  • Bearded dragons have a very good temperament as long as they are cared for and handled.
  • When you bring your baby home, it may be quite stressful to him/her to get use to new home. May not eat well the first 2-3 days. They may not need to be handled the first 2-3 days if skittish and nervous.
  • Never use sand or any other type of loose substrate: Loose substrates can cause impaction (not being able to go Poop) in all ages of bearded dragons- they lick their environment to explore .It is difficult to keep germ free and clean. Ceramic tile, newspaper, non adhesive shelf liner and reptile carpet is what is most recommended. Use paper towels for the little one and as they get bigger you can change to something else.
  • Be sure you keep your beardies home as clean as you can. Clean up by spot cleaning when needed. Clean & sanitize entire tank every 10-14 days. A good cleaning solution is a 20% bleach solution. If you choose to use wood climbing branches etc, these should be soaked in the bleach solution and rinsed well. Then bake in 250 degree oven for 30 minutes.
  • Need a climbing accessory: to bask and to warm up under basking heat light and lower branches or platforms to come down and cool off.
  • A hide of some sort like a cave.
  • A food dish and water dish.
  • Plastic spray bottle
  • Can use artificial plants when they get older- 3 months or so.
  • Digital thermostat and/or temp gun
  • Tank size: Minimal size tank for this age is 20 gallon long
  • Minimal size for older beardie: 4 months of age: 40 gallon breeder is the minimal tank size for older dragon. Can divide a 40 gallon breeder for a smaller dragon. Must have two lights for your beardie.

1. A UVB light source-best is 10.0 Reptisun that runs the length of your tank. Your dragon must have this light to metabolize calcium. If not he will get metabolic bone disease, a serious condition. You can also take your beardie outside to bask in the sun for 15 minutes each day if your temps are 80 degrees or above outside. You can purchase cages or reptariums from your pet store. Never leave a beardie outside unattended.
2. A basking type light that puts out heat and warmth above basking spot. Your beardie must have warmth to digest food & thrive.

• Lights should be on for 12-14 hours each day. Follow the seasons and light timers are a great luxury if you can get them. 6 dollars at Lowe's. No lights or warmth needed at night unless your temperatures get below 62 degrees. If they do, there are ceramic heat emitters that put out no light, only heat. Use these at night if temperatures fall below 62 degrees.

• Temperatures have to be kept at the following ranges during the day:

Babies: Warm basking log: 105-125 degrees F
Cool side: 85-90
Adults: Warm basking spot: 110-115
Cool side: 80-85
Measure temperatures with a digital probe type thermometer or a temp gun-these are most accurate. Stick on thermometers unreliable.

• Feeding a Beardie: Beardies eat live prey consisting of crickets, roaches and/or silkworms. Never feed any size of mice to your beardie. Never feed mealworms. They also must be given greens/veggies everyday. The younger they are the more live prey they should have. As they grow older the live prey decreases and the veggies/greens should be the major part of diet. Never feed anything bigger, than the space between your beardie's eyes. This includes both live prey and pieces of veggies/greens,
  • A chopper or food processor is a huge help when your beardie is small. Always offer greens and veggies: collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, cabbage, red cabbage, fresh green beans, yellow summer squash, butternut squash, sweet potato, cactus pad. Apricots, strawberries, apples, blueberries, raspberries, cantaloupe- fruits are treats only.
  • What is live prey? The easiest and less expensive live prey is crickets when you have a young or first beardie. The other live preys you can feed are silkworms, and special types of roaches. You can learn to raise your own live prey. Treats can be waxworms, super worms, and tomato/goliath worms. You may find that ordering live prey from the internet is the way to go..... Never leave live prey or greens/veggies in tank overnight. . Crickets can bite your beardie when sleeping.
  • Babies should get 80% live prey, and 20 % greens/veggies. But since the greens/veggies are a must when they are older, get them eating their greens/veggies very early. Give greens/veggies in small pieces everyday. You should eventually start decreasing your older dragon's protein intake when they are about a year to 15 months old. Their protein intake decreases to 20 % live prey and 80% veggies/greens.
  • A baby the size of yours can eat 50-75 crix a day. Never feed crix or veggies bigger than the space between your beardie's eyes. Use this guide when buying crix or chopping your greens/veggies.
  • You must provide calcium dust without D3 and multivitamin dust for your beardie. You should dust the live prey with calcium one time a day, and vitamins 3 times a week. Just collect your live prey into baggie and add enough calcium and vitamin to dust them. Then pour a few at a time into your tank. Some people feed their beardie in a separate tank so that no crickets can hide. Or some take out "furniture" from tank and feed this way. As they get older, 4-5 months or so dust live prey with calcium 3 times a week.
  • Feed the veggies/ greens 1st thing in morning after lights on for one hour at least. Then after 2-3 hours offer crix. Then freshen green/veggies. Then give more crix. Make sure after last crix feeding there is at least 1-2 hours of lights so that they can digest their food before night time.

*Beardies over the age of one year old during the winter months will go into a Brumation like most Reptiles and Herps. It is a form of Hibermnation that is governed by the weather and time of year. The lights should be on a shorter period at this time. Fresh greens should be available during this period. Do not feed live pery during Brumation.

Water: Mist your little one with the spray bottle 3-4 times a day. You can also offer a small dish of water in your enclosure but be sure your dragon is not too small to drown in it. It is recommended that when your beardie is 2 months old you can bathe your baby in a small plastic container with warm water- not hot. It will help them to stay hydrated. As they get older you can move up to the bathroom sink and then to the bathtub. Very important for bath enclosure to be thoroughly cleaned and rinsed prior to bath time. Clean between dragons too if bathing more than one.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask. I like to start people off with proper husbandry and then see if I can further assist. http://www.repticzone.com/articles/fruitsandvegetablesrated.html This is for fruits and Vegetables

http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/impaction/?page=3 calci sand

sexing bearded Dragons: http://repticzone.com/articles/sexingbeardeddragons.html

compact UVB problems: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-info.htm

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.