This is my first attempt at breeding Leopard Geckos. It is my females first and the male probably too. The eggs were

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: This is my first attempt at breeding Leopard Geckos. It is my females first and the male probably too. The eggs were laid three days ago and I removed them from the nesting box and into the incubator keeping the same position. One of the eggs had just been laid and the other was already burried in the perlite when I got home. The eggs since have kind of like lost their roundness and appear somewhat collapsed. Are they still ok or are they done?
Answered by Jav917 in 2 mins 13 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

<p>Hi,</p><p> Do you have a still air incubator?</p><p> Do you have any water in the incubator?</p><p>How long did the eggs stay in the tank?</p><p>Joan</p>
Customer
Yes, I have a still air incubator. It is a Hova-bator 1602N. I keep a water dish in it on top of the reptile sand filled to the screen level to better maintain constant temperature. The eggs were in a nesting box (tupperware container with 1 1/2 inches of perlite kept damp) for less than 10 hours as when I arrived home on May 26 one egg was still being held by Marlie and the other burried. I carefully removed them to the incubator maintaining their upright position. They looked good but the burried one seemed to have a yellowish tint to the area that now seems to have sunk in. The other egg seemed perfectly formed, but by the second day had indented on the sides in a triangular way.
<p>Hi,</p><p> We will see this happen if the humidity is too low. The eggs will dent. It is hard to say if they will come back. You may want to be sure you have some holes around the top of the container and you see some droplets of moisture around the top of the container. There should not be any sand in the incubator. You put the egg cups on the screen and the water in the incubator too. Joan</p>
Customer
Yes, there are droplets in the container. I guess I have read about egg cups but didn't think that this was really necessary as I am an experienced "farm boy". What are they? Would you recommend I dump the sand? It seemed to be a better way to keep the temp at 81 degrees constant. Do you recommend the novice breeder attempt the TSD and try for females when the timeframe is so much longer and subject to greater possibility of problems?
<p>Hi,</p><p> When I bred my girl I used the container that she laid in and transfered it right into the incubator. Since this is the first breeding, I would just wait it out and see. Make sure you separate the male since your female will be laying in anther two to three weeks. She can lay about 4 times on one breeding. The temperature is what determines females males and mixture. You need to be careful with the times and temps as you may wind up with a hot female. Joan</p><p>This site gives you visuals: <a href="http://www.albeysreptiles.com/incubate-eggs.htm">http://www.albeysreptiles.com/incubate-eggs.htm</a> </p>
Customer
Yes, they bred again the same day the eggs were laid so I know that I have about 10-14 days until the next eggs will be laid... they are already visible. I just want to do the best that I can for them. Should I get rid of the sand? and, what are the "egg cups"? and are they necessary? I just need to correct any problems before the next clutch.

I use glad ware containers since they work well in the tank and in the incubator. I also use Vermiculite and sand mix and have it ready in the tank for laying. Once the eggs are laid I take that dish out and replace it with another. The eggs go right into the incubator without handling. I would get rid of the sand as it is not needed and the eggs should be in the cups for incubating. If you look at the site I gave you it shows how this person does it. Joan

http://www.albeysreptiles.com/incubate-eggs.htm

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.