My turtle's shell has been having these weird spots of discoloration. they are patchy, almost a whitish gold color. it

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: hello there.my turtle's shell has been having these weird spots of discoloration. they are patchy, almost a whitish gold color. it doesnt look normal. i also noticed that a bit of his yellow stomach seems to be scraping away. the bit of his stomach that looks unhealthy is directly under the bit of shell that looks unhealthy; the right side of his body. i dont know whats going on. i researched a bit, and it might be shell rot but i want to make sure. i even asked the pet store where i bought him at what the problem may be. they told me to bring a bit of water in so they can test whats wrong. please give me any information you can. at the moment i have just been putting shell-revitilizer on him weekly. ive been doing this for 2 weeks now and it seemed to be getting better until today when i noticed the bit of his stomach peeling away. im worried. please let me know if you can, what i can do.
Answered by Jav917 in 50 mins 13 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

I need to know about the set up?

Size of tank?

Filtration?

Supplements?

Diet?

Can you post a picture? You can use the tree icon to upload a picture. Joan

Customer

hi, thank you for getting back to me so fast. sorry about the un-added information. i shall do that right now.

10 galleon tank with filter and thermostat (unsure of spelling). he has a platform on which he basks everyday. i put a bit of water conditioner, bio cultures, ph neutrilizer, and turtle clean every week in his tank when i change his water. apart from the patchyness of his shell, he seems completely healthy. i feed him 3 sera rafi turtle food pellets twice a day. (used to be 2 but i increased it for he has grown quite a bit in the last 6 months).

the tank is nowhere near a window. its properly lighted and heated. im unsure what the problem may be.

graphicgraphic

Sorry a couple more questions.....

UVB Light and how old? Tubular type or coil type?

Supplements?

Customer

its a 50W light beam. neither coil or tubular. sun glo is the brand name, its a basking lamp. i bought it from same pet store. its around 4-5 months old.

i dont know what u mean by supplements? diet suppliments? i feed him some reptomin along with the regular food sometimes.

Part of the problem is you are not using a UVB bulb which supplies the artificial sunlight. This helps metabolize calcium in the body. The diet also needs to be changed as the should have 50% veggies, 25% pellet food and 25% prey or cooked meats. He should also be getting a calcium supplement. I suggest a cuttle bone which is excellent source of calcium for the turtle. You will need to get a UVB light or some natural sunlight on this turtle. I suspect this can be a possibility of three problems. 1) the start of Metabolic bone disease, 2 )shell rot, or 3 ) a fungus type infection. The wises choice is to have the turtle seen by a herp vet for a hands on diagnosis. In the mean time I am going to give you a couple of sites to read about treatments and causes. I can locate a herp Vet with a state or country for you. Joan

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/medshell.htm

http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/shellrot.htm

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.