I had a anole,a small lizard, and who had developed a lump next to his "ear hole" within weeks of noticing it the lump

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hello, I had a green anole,a small lizard, and who had developed a nasty lump next to his "ear hole" within weeks of noticing it the lump grew larger and eventually killed my lizard. For future knowledge I want to know what causes these lumps and if there's anyway to prevent them or if there is a way to treat the lumps when I've found them?
Answered by Jav917 in 1 min 13 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Can you tell me about your set up?

UVB? How old?

Diet?

Was the Anole wild caught?

Joan

Customer
My set up is a 20gal terrarium, with a 60 watt heat lamp. I have it set up so there is an area for the lizard to bask and a spot for her to cool off when she needs to. Not sure if you need every detail but here goes, I have a little "hammock" for her to bask from off the flooring of the tank along with a few fake plants and bendable branches and a little log "hut" for privacy when she wants and I keep newspaper as the bedding. I clean the tank at least once or twice a week. The anole I have now I've had for 4yrs now, I got her from Petco. The anole that died however was a big, male, I named Jimmy I got him from a carnival game,probably not the best place to get a pet but he was my first, and I had him for 3yrs before he passed on. Both of their diets consist(ed) of crickets I buy from a local exotic pet/nature shop. The crickets are fed with gutload in the shop both the dry and liquidish gutload. I also feed them gutload with a mix of veggies and fruit such as lettuce,cucumbers,carrots,berries,etc.

What you described is an aural or ear abscess. this can be caused from a bite from a cricket, or a calcium deficiency or a bacterial infection that is lodged behind the tympatic membrane. This can happen because of a compramised immune system. The anoles need a calcium powder on their food as well as a UVB (simulted sunlight bulb) to help metabolize the calcium. The Ear abscess is common in reptiles and can usually be treated with an antibiotic from a Herp Vet. I would suggest if you do not have a UVB light to get one. Also dust the prey and food with a plain calcium powder. Never leave live prey inwith the Anole. Joan

http://www.anapsid.org/reptilehearing.html

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.