I have recently just brought 2 little turtles, and today i have noticed that one of them does not want to go bellow the

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have recently just brought 2 little turtles, and today i have noticed that one of them does not want to go bellow the water surface, it is just floating around on top. when you push it bellow the surface he just floats back up, it is not trying to swim up or down. i do not what is wrong, can you help
Answered by Jav917 in 2 mins 13 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Can you tell me about your set up?

Filter?

Size of tank?

Diet?

Supplements?

UVB light?

Heat source?

Joan

Customer
it is just a glass aquirium with a platform fo the turtles to climb on to,
a magic jet filter
60cm x 30cm and approx 25cm deep
the eat between 1-3 cubes of blood worm every night
no supplaments
no light
we have a hearter that heats the water to 24oC, its like a rod

Turtles need two type of lights. One is a florescent type bulb called a UVB which supplies artificail sunlight and the other is a regular bulb for heat and basking. Without these bulbs the turtles cannot metabolize calcium and they canget what is know as Metabolic Bone Disease. You also have a dietary problem. These little turtles need a diet of 50% grees like collards, mustards, turnips, curly endives, 25% pellet food and 25% live prey like crickets, blood worms, or even cooked chicken. They need a calcium supplement like a cuttle bone to chew on. I suspect that the little turtle may ba having problems from too much protien affecting the kidneys. The best solution would be to have the turtle see by a Herp Vet. I can locate one with a state or country. I will give you some information on care. Joan

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1261

Customer
is there any turtle food that has all of the required nutriants in it which is easy to obtain, i could probably get a mineral block thing easy enough

The diet I gave you should be pretty easy. a couple of leaves of greens, and the pellets to start, and then you can give the blood worms. unfortunately there is no balanced diets, even though I have seen many profess to gbe the best for turtles. The UVB light and basking light are very important as is the calcium supplement. Joan

Customer
will the UVB light hurt the fish which are in the same tank?

A UVB light will not hurt the fish and is used many times in Salt water tanks. All it does is supply artificial sunlight, but minimal heat. The other basking bulb is hung over where the turtle basks suppies some heat for the turtle to sun himself. Joan

Customer
sorry, i asked my brother to accept it for me, but the money has already come out of my account
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.