We just got 2 beardies on the 6th of this month up til yesterday they were both doing great. On is thriving well and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: We just got 2 beardies on the 6th of this month up til yesterday they were both doing great. On is thriving well and active. The other is lethargic and hasn't ate any crickets since Friday morning. I also provide fresh water, lettuce and shredded carrots. I dust the crickets with calcium every other day and I am feeding about 10-12 crickets/ day for the both of them. I did buy some electrolyte solution with D3 and an appetite stimulant about 2 hours ago. I am guessing he is dehydrated because when I put him by the water he stuck his entire face in the water and was drinking it with the electrolyte sol. in it. Any other suggestions from this new parent of beardies. I am also an LVT in Michigan but I know nothing of lizards. Thanks
Answered by Jav917 in 15 mins 14 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

I can help, but I need some Info.

Substrate?

Lighting? UVB? Heat source?

Temps? How neasured?

Diet? Prey Greens?

Supplements?

Joan

Customer
I have them on the lizard carpet that was recommended by PetsMart. I have a day light and a night light for them I believe both uva and uvb lighting as the heat source. The temp in the tank is about 78 degrees measured with the sticker thermometer on the opposite end as the heat source. The hygrometer is at 60 and I know that is higher then it should be but I don't know how we can get that adjusted or where we can find a small dehumidifier. We have a large dehumidifier in our basement. Right now they are just eating the crickets, lettuce, carrots and occ grapes or bananas. The crickets are dusted about every other day with calcium dust.

I am going to give you my personal care sheet. Review the information and we can discuss what to do for the beardie and what changes may need to be made. In the mean time give the ill beardie a soak in 1/2 Pedilayte and 1/2 water. Joan

• Here is the care sheet I promised Above. Please hit reply so we can further discuss this situation. Joan
  • Bearded dragons should be housed alone.

• Ages of bearded dragons follow these guidelines:
  • 1. 0-3 months- baby
    2. 3-12 months-juvenile
    3. 12-18 months- sub adult
    4. 18 months + -adult

• Bearded dragons live as much as 10-12 years if well cared for properly.
    • Bearded dragons have a very good temperament as long as they are cared for and handled.
    • When you bring your baby home, it may be quite stressful to him/her to get use to new home. May not eat well the first 2-3 days. They may not need to be handled the first 2-3 days if skittish and nervous.
    • Never use sand or any other type of loose substrate: Loose substrates can cause impaction (not being able to go Poop) in all ages of bearded dragons- they lick their environment to explore .It is difficult to keep germ free and clean. Ceramic tile, newspaper, non adhesive shelf liner and reptile carpet is what is most recommended. Use paper towels for the little one and as they get bigger you can change to something else.
    • Be sure you keep your beardie's home as clean as you can. Clean up by spot cleaning when needed. Clean & sanitize entire tank every 10-14 days. A good cleaning solution is a 20% bleach solution. If you choose to use wood climbing branches etc, these should be soaked in the bleach solution and rinsed well. Then bake in 250 degree oven for 30 minutes.
    • Need a climbing accessory: to bask and to warm up under basking heat light and lower branches or platforms to come down and cool off.
    • A hide of some sort like a cave.
    • A food dish and water dish.
    • Plastic spray bottle
    • Can use artificial plants when they get older- 3 months or so.
    • Digital thermostat and/or temp gun
    • Tank size: Minimal size tank for this age is 20 gallon long
    • Minimal size for older beardie: 4 months of age: 40 gallon breeder is the minimal tank size for older dragon. Can divide a 40 gallon breeder for a smaller dragon.

• Must have two lights for your beardie.

1. A UVB light source-best is 10.0 Reptisun that runs the length of your tank. Your dragon must have this light to metabolize calcium. If not he will get metabolic bone disease, a serious condition. You can also take your beardie outside to bask in the sun for 15 minutes each day if your temps are 80 degrees or above outside. You can purchase cages or reptariums from your pet store. Never leave a beardie outside unattended.
    2. A basking type light that puts out heat and warmth above basking spot. Your beardie must have warmth to digest food & thrive.

• Lights should be on for 12-14 hours each day. Follow the seasons and light timers are a great luxury if you can get them. 6 dollars at Lowe's. No lights or warmth needed at night unless your temperatures get below 62 degrees. If they do, there are ceramic heat emitters that put out no light, only heat. Use these at night if temperatures fall below 62 degrees.

• Temperatures have to be kept at the following ranges during the day:

Babies: Warm basking log: 105-125 degrees F
    Cool side: 85-90
    Adults: Warm basking spot: 110-115
    Cool side: 80-85
    Measure temperatures with a digital probe type thermometer or a temp gun-these are most accurate. Stick on thermometers unreliable.

• Feeding a Beardie: Beardies eat live prey consisting of crickets, roaches and/or silkworms. Never feed any size of mice to your beardie. Never feed mealworms. They also must be given greens/veggies everyday. The younger they are the more live prey they should have. As they grow older the live prey decreases and the veggies/greens should be the major part of diet. Never feed anything bigger, than the space between your beardie's eyes. This includes both live prey and pieces of veggies/greens,
    • A chopper or food processor is a huge help when your beardie is small. Always offer greens and veggies: collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, cabbage, red cabbage, fresh green beans, yellow summer squash, butternut squash, sweet potato, cactus pad. Apricots, strawberries, apples, blueberries, raspberries, cantaloupe- fruits are treats only.
    • What is live prey? The easiest and less expensive live prey is crickets when you have a young or first beardie. The other live preys you can feed are silkworms, and special types of roaches. You can learn to raise your own live prey. Treats can be waxworms, super worms, and tomato/goliath worms. You may find that ordering live prey from the internet is the way to go..... Never leave live prey or greens/veggies in tank overnight. . Crickets can bite your beardie when sleeping.
    • Babies should get 80% live prey, and 20 % greens/veggies. But since the greens/veggies are a must when they are older, get them eating their greens/veggies very early. Give greens/veggies in small pieces everyday. You should eventually start decreasing your older dragon's protein intake when they are about a year to 15 months old. Their protein intake decreases to 20 % live prey and 80% veggies/greens.
    • A baby the size of yours can eat 50-75 crix a day. Never feed crix or veggies bigger than the space between your beardie's eyes. Use this guide when buying crix or chopping your greens/veggies.
    • You must provide calcium dust without D3 and multivitamin dust for your beardie. You should dust the live prey with calcium one time a day, and vitamins 3 times a week. Just collect your live prey into baggie and add enough calcium and vitamin to dust them. Then pour a few at a time into your tank. Some people feed their beardie in a separate tank so that no crickets can hide. Or some take out "furniture" from tank and feed this way. As they get older, 4-5 months or so dust live prey with calcium 3 times a week.
    • Feed the veggies/ greens 1st thing in morning after lights on for one hour at least. Then after 2-3 hours offer crix. Then freshen green/veggies. Then give more crix. Make sure after last crix feeding there is at least 1-2 hours of lights so that they can digest their food before night time.

*Beardies over the age of one year old during the winter months will go into a Brumation like most Reptiles and Herps. It is a form of Hibermnation that is governed by the weather and time of year. The lights should be on a shoter period at this time. Fresh greens should be available during this period. Do not feed live pery during Brumation.

Water: Mist your little one with the spray bottle 3-4 times a day. You can also offer a small dish of water in your enclosure but be sure your dragon is not too small to drown in it. It is recommended that when your beardie is 2 months old you can bathe your baby in a small plastic container with warm water- not hot. It will help them to stay hydrated. As they get older you can move up to the bathroom sink and then to the bathtub. Very important for bath enclosure to be thoroughly cleaned and rinsed prior to bath time. Clean between dragons too if bathing more than one.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask. I like to start people off with proper husbandry and then see if I can further assist. Joan

http://www.repticzone.com/articles/fruitsandvegetablesrated.html This is for fruits and Vegetables

Customer
    If my beardie does have an intestinal parasite, what are safe dewormers? We have strongid (pyrantel)and albon for liquid dewormers. I am a LVT also of course for our furred friendsLaughing Can I use Electrod3ize in place of the pedialyte. It has D3 35 iu, 7.5 mg of dextrose, Potassium 0.8 mg, magnesium 0.1 mg, and Calcium 0.1mg.

We need to do a fecal check. You need to look for Coccida, Pin worms and Giardia. Those ther the big 3 for Beardies. Once you run the fecal, do an acid fast stain to verify results. We use panacur, and Albon, Flagyl and Baycox depending on what we see is going on. Batril is drug of choice for infections. Be very careful w/ D3 in calcium, since it can casue neurolical problems in large amounts for Dragons. Get your Temps up and make sure you are using the UVB light. It does not give off heat. Check the link for veggies and make sure you follow the diet instructions. Please let me know if I can be of further help. Joan

Read less
    unlike
    0 Likes
    logoBack
    logologo
    Jav917
    logo
    logo
    logo
    Pet Specialist
    imglogo
    Jav917
    + years of experience
    logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
    Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
    116 Veterinarians are online right now.