Have a nest in back of my barn. One egg broke, The small snapper is alive and has the egg yolk attached. I put it on a

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: have a nest in back of my barn.
One egg broke , The small snapper is alive and has the egg yolk attached. I put it on a wet towel in a plastic container and brought it in my house. I have one room were the temp does not go below 70 degrees because I have parrots.

Will this baby live?

Should I gather up the rest of the eggs and bring them inside with the dirt they are in.

After reading , It is late for them to start hatching and they will prob die.
I live about 3/4 of a mile from the stream and I don't want my horses stepping on them.

HELP
Answered by Anna in 12 mins 14 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello, You've done the right things for the baby snapper. You don't need to worry about feeding it just yet because it will live from what is in the yolk sac for several days. Moving the other eggs could be risky. If you change their position while moving them, it can kill the babies. Also, the eggs aren't likely to hatch indoors unless you set up an incubator with proper temperature and humidity. It might be better to keep an eye on the eggs and rescue any babies that hatch.

If you think it's too late for the babies to survive outdoors, you have two choices. You can turn them over to a wildlife rehabilitator to keep for the winter, or you can set up a proper habitat and do it yourself. Keeping turtles healthy is more difficult an expensive than most people realize. If you'd like help finding a rehabber, give me your city and state, and I'll help. If you prefer information on setting up a tank yourself, I can give you that information and some links. There's no additional charge for follow-up questions like these. Just click on REPLY. I have to step away from the computer for a few minutes, but will check back soon to see if you want more information.

Anna
Customer

Thank you for your answer,

Please give me the name of someone in my area, I live in Collegeville PA 19426.

Or I could do it myself, I do not have reptile exep. But I would be willing to keep them for the winter. I have always taken care of animals and I have a fondness for box turtles. I know they are not the same.

How will I know when the other eggs will hatch?

Just wanted to let you know I'm back and working on your answer. I'll post it in a few minutes.

Anna
Here are two wildlife rehabbers in SW Pennsylvania. I would call them - if they can't help you, they'll probably be able to refer you to someone who can. If neither of these works out, let me know and I'll look for more.

Pennsylvania, Southwest region (Youngwood).....(NNN) NNN-NNNNnbsp;  Beth Shoaf, Wildlife Works, Inc.       

Pennsylvania, Western region (Harrisville).....(NNN) NNN-NNNN Maryjane Angelo, Skye's Spirit Wildlife Rehabilitation Center

If you're interested in keeping the turtles yourself, this site will tell you what's involved. If you have more questions after reading it, just let me know.

http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/chelydracare.htm

As far as knowing when the eggs hatch, you'll just have to keep an eye on them. now that one has hatched, it's likely that the others will follow. However, all of the eggs may not be fertile, and in that case, they won't hatch at all. If you have more questions, again, just click REPLY.

Anna

Customer

Thank You,

The little guy who I brought into the house is moving around now.

I will call the number that you gave me, but they are located very far away.

I will do by best to winter the hatchlings over the winter. I believe in proctecting all animals.

I know why the female laid her eggs there, there use to be a forest with a small stream in the back of my house before they built a bunch of houses. which displaced a lot of wildlife , thank goodness I still have a state park across the street.

Thank you once again

God Bless you.

The Lord says that every animal will have to be accounted for when the time comes.

There weren't any rehabbers extremely close to you that deal with reptiles - just birds and mammals. However, what often happens is that there's a network of people who know each other, and not all are in the online directories. So, often by calling one person, they will know of someone else closer to you. Also, some rehabbers (not all) will meet someone halfway to pick up an animal. For those reasons, I recommended that you call one of the two I found if that's the route you want to go.

If you provide the proper conditions in a tank, it shouldn't be difficult to keep babies through the winter. If even one element (temperature, water cleanliness, nutrition, UVB light etc.) is off, though, it quickly leads to illness. If you would like more sites to read, here are some additional ones:

http://www.fishpondinfo.com/turtles/snappers.htm

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-commonsnapper.htm

http://www.chelydra.org/snapping_turtle_basic_care.html

like your philosophy on animals, and may God bless you as well, for caring about them so much. Again, if you need anything else, just let me know.

AnnaMsAM39701.48494375
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.