Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

I have a bearded dragon with black spots under his ...

Customer Question
I have a bearded dragon...
I have a bearded dragon with black spots under his chin on his chest and arms. antibiotics and antifungal medicines don''t work, it killed our female dragon we had him first and I think she gave it to him. Any advice or similar experience. Thank You
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Reptile
6/23/2008
Reptile Expert: Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist replied 9 years ago
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist

Have you had a vet do a skin culture?

What types of lighting do you have?

Do you use a heat rock?

Exactly what medications have you tried?

Are the black spots raised or level with the rest of the skin?

Is there any oozing from the spots?

Thank you for the additional information.

Anna
The vet did a Culture and we are waiting for results.New Florescent UV Light and a 100 watt Heat Lamp. No heat rock SMZ-TMP PED suspension, Amikacin Injections, Silver Sulfate Ointment and Clotrimazole ointment. No oozing, But on the female Dragon the spot on the chin eat into her jawbone and she quit eating and died.
The vet did a Culture and we are waiting for results.New Florescent UV Light and a 100 watt Heat Lamp. No heat rock SMZ-TMP PED suspension, Amikacin Injections, Silver Sulfate Ointment and Clotrimazole ointment. No oozing, But on the female Dragon the spot on the chin eat into her jawbone and she quit eating and died. Raised black Spots.
Thank you for getting back to me. This sounds like a fungal infection called yellow fungus, despite the fact that it's often other colors. It is frequently fatal, and seems to occur most often in dragons that have been given antibiotics or kept on natural soil. The antibiotics may destroy all the beneficial bacteria in the dragon's system, allowing fungus and harmful bacteria to flourish. A lot of times, the lizard will die from this before a skin culture can be completed. If you aren't already using a solid substrate, change to one at once since that is easier to keep clean and dry.

This fungus is difficult to treat. Some of the best results have been obtained using colloidal silver water and Nolvasan. You can buy Nolvasan in some pet stores, from vets, and online. Dilute it 3 ounces to a gallon of water. It should be kept away from the eyes. You can read more about it here:

http://www.greenigsociety.org/firstaidkit.htm#fak3

Colloidal silver water is available in health food stores. Bathe your beardie 2-3 times a day, alternating between the colloidal silver water and the Nolvasan.

You can then rinse your beardie and coat the spots with the Clotrimazole. It would also be helpful to give him some probiotics (beneficial bacteria). Here is an online source:

http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=227

If your dragon is eating, add the probiotics, 2 mls. daily of the silver water, and some bee pollen and royal jelly to his food. If he's not eating, mix those supplements into some chicken baby food, and drop a bit at a time onto his snout. Don't try to forcefeed. Here's an online source for the pollen and royal jelly:

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/bee.htm#pets

Another step to take is to try to get him into some direct sunlight outdoors each day. Be sure to supervise him closely.

Make sure that the enclosure is warm enough (for an adult, 110*F in the basking area, 85*F in the cool section) and kept clean and dry. If you have additional questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope you're able to clear this up. (Thank you to Joan, for her invaluable tips. Joan has successfully treated yellow fungus using these methods).

Anna

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on ACCEPT. Thank you.)
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist