My 7 month old French Bulldog swallowed a whole beefhide stick that was 6”. This happened On Sunday night he has been

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My 7 month old French Bulldog swallowed a whole beefhide stick that was 6” long. This happened On Sunday night he has been pooping and peeing. Will he be able to pass it? Should I be worried he just had a surgery last month due to a shoe box he chewed up that caused a blockage. I have been giving him pumpkin with his meals and he pooped this morning. He acts fine as of right now.
Answered by Dr. Gabby in 2 mins 3 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Gabby
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello. My name is***** and I have been a veterinarian for 20 years. I am happy to help you with your question although I will not be able to say if he will pass it for sure or not. Did he swallowed it whole or chew it up a bit?

Customer
Whole
Customer
He was barking at my other frenchie with it in his mouth and while he was barking down it went
Customer
I haven’t seen any pieces of it in his poop

MI am surprised he did not choke on it. In my experience the blockages usually happen in the first few days if they are going to. If he makes it to a week then the odds are better that it will not cause a blockage. It could cause a blockage after that but it would be less likely. Most dogs are able to digest and pass rawhides unless they chew the ends off large knotted bones. If it is driving you crazy not knowing you could always take him into the vet and they could give him some barium liquid which would stick to the bone. Then, they could take a couple x-rays and see where the bone it. He would need to be fasted over night and take in for a morning appointment so if he ate already today then it would have to be tomorrow and you would need to make an appointment. But for now he sounds stable so I would not worry yet. My dog ate a whole rotisserie chicken twice and did just fine. I panicked silently to myself each time it happened ; )

Customer
How long would it take to digest and pass?
Customer
Would he digest it whole

How long would it take to digest and pass? There are no actual studies where dogs were given rawhides and then the time to digest and pass was evaluated so I do not have an exact answer. I would guess a week.

Would he digest it whole? He could possibly.

I know you want exact answer but there are not going to be exact answers. This is a wait and see scenario. Hang in there.

Customer
Ok

Do you have any other questions I may assist you with right now? You can always reply later as needed.

Customer
Not at the moment

Thank you, ***** ***** are all set, please kindly rate my answer by clicking on the stars. That is how the website compensates me for my time. Many Thanks and Happy Holidays. : )

Customer
Still no signs of the beefhide stick
I would not be worried as long as he is not showing any signs of difficulty passing it
Read less
unlike
1 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Gabby
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Gabby
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.