Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She is limping and licking her paw but there is no visible…

She is limping and...

She is limping and licking her paw but there is no visible injury. She doesn't cry when I touch it. But her whole body is SO hot.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Olive 4 years, 10 months.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Olive?

No she is a very healthy active Chihuahua

Customer reply replied 9 days ago
Her body is very hot, and when I hold an ice pack to her body, she calms a little bit.
Customer reply replied 9 days ago
I let her out to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, and she came back inside with her paw up. She was chewing on her nail so I assumed it was that, I even clipped them and she didn't cry or anything. But she still won't put any weight on the Paw.
7/11/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. Will you give me an update on how your companion is at this time so that I can move forward with addressing your concern?

Customer reply replied 8 days ago
she slept last night with I've packs all around her. That was the only thing I could do to calm her down. She is walking on her paw, but she has extremely bad diarrhea. Nothing in her diet or routine has changed.
Customer reply replied 8 days ago
Ice packs*

Are you able to take Olive's temp via rectal route to determine what her temp is?

Are you seeing any vomiting or diarrhea?

You mentioned that nothing has changed recently: does this include changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed in the last few days (even if your pet regularly receives it)? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication? Any risk of toxin ingestion?

Customer reply replied 8 days ago
I don't have a way to take her temp. There as been no changes at all to her food or treats. She had a pet sitter all day yesterday (but that's a daily thing for her). I came home everything was fine. I let her out to use the bathroom at around midnight, she wouldn't come back in. When I went out to get her, she wouldn't walk on her paw. That seems to be when it all started.

If she's very hot, the best thing that you can do is take her to your local vet and have her temperature taken and the foot examined. I am concerned that she may have an infection in the area, which is why she's not wanting to use the foot and also why she's extremely hot. As well, if she does have an infection there is potential for that also to cause diarrhea since her body is undergoing extreme stress. Without knowing the cause of what she's experiencing there stands a good chance that at-home treatment could make her worse. If you absolutely must treat from home and she's receiving no other medications, you can give her aspirin dosed down to her size based on weight. Dosing info here: https://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/ This should help not only with discomfort and the limping but may also help with her fever. Be sure that she eats when taking aspirin as you do not want it to exacerbate the GI upset that she's experiencing. I'd also recommend a switch over to a bland diet until the diarrhea improves. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Avoid skin and bone. Use no salt, butter, oils, spices or other enticing additives. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the meat is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try using or adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. You want to work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over a 10 day period. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help you further. Please be aware that we work on the HONOR SYSTEM on this website. Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after rating at no further charge on this thread. I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

A pleasant good morning to you, JACustomer. Checking in with you today to see how your companion is doing. Will you provide me with an update and any additional questions you might have? If you are finished with our chat and do not need any additional help, please take the time to rate our discussion before signing off. I am not compensated by the website until this is completed. ​

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy