She has what I think is a huge abscess. I can send you a pic. Chica 7 yrs 45 lbs pit mix. Her lip and jaw are.swollen

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: She has what I think is a huge abscess. I can send you a pic
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Chica 7 yrs 45 lbs pit mix
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chica?
Customer: Her lip and jaw are.swollen extremely. Got into a tussle with another of her housemates. Didn't see ant damage but now the swelling
Answered by Dr. Gabby in 1 min 4 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Gabby
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello. My name is***** and I have been a veterinarian for 20 years. I am happy to help you with your question. Sure, you can send the picture. Do you have any antibiotics on hand? We can not prescribe without seeing the pet in person. How long has the swelling been there?

Customer

Noticed it Friday, got better saturday. By Monday it was getting worse and today it's worse still. Had some doxycyclene. Gave her 200mg

Thank you. And did you want to show me a picture? There should be an upload files next to the send button on the screen. Is the abscess draining pus? Is she acting ill?

Customer

She is not acting normal. Lethargic

She is very cute. Will she let you look in her mouth to make sure there is not something stuck in there or an abscessed tooth? Is she able to eat and drink?

Customer

I have checked her teeth. She drank and ate a little this morning but nothing since. I have squeezed water into her mouth a few times

Okay, thank you. She definitely needs to see a vet for antibiotics and an exam. Doxycycline is not going to take care of it. Cephalexin, Baytril, or Clavamox would. If you could get her to eat, then you could give her aspirin. But she has to take it with food or it could upset her stomach. If you can get her to eat a meal, you can give the aspirin at a dose of 5mg per pound.

To help keep her blood sugar up, put some honey or karo syrup in her mouth. About a tablespoon.

You can try hot packing the swelling with a warm wet washcloth and see if you can get the infection to come to a head and pop open. Hot pack for about twenty minutes three times a day.

See if she will eat something soft. You can try some human infant meat flavored baby food warmed up. Turkey is a good flavor to try. Or canned dog food if she does not have a sensitive stomach. Or a little vanilla frozen yogurt.

It sounds like she will be stable until morning to see the vet. If she gets to the point she is so lethargic she is unable to get up and walk, or her gums turn pale/purple, or she starts having vomiting or diarrhea then take her into tonight. Does that help? Do you have any other questions I may assist you with right now?

Customer

Thank you for your help. Trying all the things

Okay great. If it does happen to burst open, gently squeeze the pus out. Then go to the human drug store and buy betadine. It is a brown liquid and should be in the first aid aisle. Mix it with water. 1 part betadine to 10 parts water. Buy a syringe or eye dropper too if you do not have one. Flush the pus out, with the dilute betadine, twice a day. Then apply Neosporin or antibiotic ointment. That is what they did in the old days before we had all these antibiotics for cats and dogs.

You are very welcome .

Customer

It's now Thursday. Have been doing hot compresses and strong dosed of turmeric. Vet is out of town til 26th. She is eating soft food with turmeric calendula tea added and water. The swelling is down 30% or more. She's acting like herself. Just thought u might like to know

Thank you for the update. Any chance she could see a different vet, just to get some antibiotics, just because yours is out of town for 5 more days then there may be a delay in getting an appointment
Customer

My vet will see her as soon as she's back. I live in Hawaii and vets are all booked or don't return my calls. I am confident that she is on the mend. My vet is mobile.and comes.to my home and costs less than any other and is very good. Dr. Agnes Horvath, dvm

I understand. I did not know your vet is a mobile vet and has better prices.
Hi Leigh, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Dr. Gabby
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Gabby
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Gabby
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.