She is 9 and had a male rip my fence up to get her...she has pups now and is knocking them off one at a time. I think

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: She is 9 and had a male rip my fence up to get her...she has pups now and is knocking them off one at a time.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: I think she can not handle taking care of this litter, she keeps holding them (one at a time) sideways in her mouth, trying to run from her welping area as if to kill it. She has laid on 3 from day 1 to two days ago killing each of the 3.
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Kodah
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kodah?
Customer: She has had 3 litters prior to thos oneand has with no complications and all puppies were happy and healthy, with each one finding forever homes. Her last litter she was 7. She is not fixed because everyone agreed that with jer age, it was safer for her to not be put under for a major surgery unless it was an emergency.
Answered by Dr. Gabby in 4 mins 4 years ago
imglogo
Dr. Gabby
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Dog Medicine, Dog Diseases, Small Animal Veterinary

Hello. My name is***** and I have been a veterinarian for 20 years. I am happy to help you with your question. How old are the puppies? It may be time to take them away from her and start bottle feeding them. You can not force her to be a good mother or to take proper care of them at this point.

Customer
They will be 2 weeks tomorrow.

Okay, so the best thing to do at this point is to start bottle feeding them. Take them away from her. You can buy milk replacer and bottles tomorrow at the pet store. You will need to feed them every 3-4 hours. The amount to feed depends on their weight. You will need a kitchen scale to weigh them. Then the feeding directions will be based on the weight and on the label of the milk replacer. At 3 1/2 weeks of age you can start them on softened puppy food.

After feeding them you will need to take a wet warm wash cloth and go over the genital area to stimulate urination or defecation.

That is what I would do so she can not kill anymore.

Does that make sense?

If dogs are ripping down your fence to get at her it may be best to have her spayed after this. The oldest dog I have spayed was 16 years old. 9 is not that old. Just do blood work first to make sure her internal organs are functioning properly and can handle anesthesia ahead of time.

Customer
I was feeling that I may need to step in and care for them myself. Is there anything else I need to know to make sure they stay healthy and happy?

If they seem to be getting constipated, add some children's pedialyte drink to the puppy formula.

Customer
I will take her in...how long do I have between now and her next heat do I have?

The heat is normally every 6 months. So, I would give her a two months for her milk to dry up and her uterine blood vessels to go down to normal size and then make an appointment.

Customer
mam, I will remember that if they have troublw going potty.

Do you have any other questions I may assist you with right now?

Customer
I will mark approx. day on my calender as a reminder when the time is good. Thank you for your help.

You are very welcome : )

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Dr. Gabby
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Dr. Gabby
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.