Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I just noticed that my dogs tongue is far more darker than…

Customer Question
I just noticed that my...
I just noticed that my dogs tongue is far more darker than normal he is pink
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog
5/30/2018
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

This looks normal to me. We often expect to see a light pink tongue but the vascularity of the tissue and pigment often play a role. Many dogs have extra pigment on their tongue, as well, so we may see black or brown splotches. Since Hope has also had vomiting and diarrhea recently this may be a sign of dehydration and hemoconcentration. This would take a brighter pink tongue to a more red color. If so, once her GI issues resolve and she's well-hydrated once again without any fluid loss you may see the normal color return.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions, let me know if I can help you further. Please be aware that we work on the HONOR SYSTEM on this website. Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

The vet we took Hope to is telling us to take her to the er

I would expect this to be for the GI symptoms and not the pigment of her tongue. If you do need to take her to the ER the other thread we shared has financial aid and financing options available on it to help with the expense.

A pleasant good morning to you, JACustomer. Checking in with you today to see how your companion is doing. Will you provide me with an update and any additional questions you might have? If you are finished with our chat and do not need any additional help, please take the time to rate our discussion before signing off. I am not compensated by the website until this is completed.

She is not doing well she had to have surgery yesterday . She had a Ruptured stomach So I am absolutely not satisfied with the information I was given
Please don’t respond back ever