Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 14 year old Wilkie is passing the house and crying some.

My 14 year old...

My 14 year old Wilkie is passing the house and crying some. I have follow Ed him but can't find anything wrong.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Gucci

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gucci?

He can't see good

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
He is now sitting in the bathroom by the toliet
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Hello is anybody there
5/27/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
He has calmed down. But only wi l lay on the floor. Not his blanket or the couch.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed in the last few days (even if your pet regularly receives it)? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication? Toxin ingestion?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

To clarify, did you mean that he's a 14-year-old Yorkie? Your original post says "Wilkie".

Does he appear painful at all?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Nothing new to diet and nothing unusual. He is a 14 year old silkie. Good health except for bad teeth and almost blind. Nothing unusual with behavior until this am.

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Does he appear painful at all?​

Has he had any diagnostic care to determine the cause of him going blind? When did he last have bloodwork performed?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Due to get yearly vet visit in June. Dr said he has glaucoma. U can tell his eyes used to be brown, now almost all blue.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Disent seem to have pain, I have checked his face paws and body don't see anything or feel anything unusual.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
No vomit or diarrhea. Blood work a year ago I think

Glaucoma is commonly painful for dogs, so I would discuss this being part of the reason he's uncomfortable with your vet. Is he taking any medication currently?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
No meds

Thank you. Give me a few moments to type a response for you here.

If you can obtain and share a video of this, it would be helpful. The description you've given is not a symptom of any one ailment and it may be worthwhile to have Gucci examined by your vet since he's not his normal self in experiencing this behavior. This could be a symptoms of anything from pain to a symptom of mild seizure activity such as focal seizures. I would be sure to check his skin for any abnormalities, such as fleas and ticks. If you believe that his symptoms might be due to pain and he's on no other medications, starting him on a joint supplement given his age would be wise (I use and recommend http://www.glycoflex.com products) and he can also take aspirin as often as every 12 hours to help with discomfort (dosing info here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/) Restlessness can also be addressed with 1-2mg/pound of body weight of Benadryl every 8-12 hours to help calm her before bedtime. You can also try melatonin, as well: http://www.akc.org/content/health/articles/melatonin-for-dogs-uses-benefits-and-dosage/

If, at any time, you do wind up with a video you can post it back to our chat and I'll be happy to analyze it for you though this may not change the recommendation to see your vet. I am concerned that discomfort may be present with the glaucoma you've mentioned. Often dogs with progressed glaucoma require pain medication to keep them comfortable and may eventually need one or both eyes surgically removed.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions, let me know if I can help you further. Please be aware that we work on the HONOR SYSTEM on this website. Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy