Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog is panting he's not eating very much I'm and he's a…

My dog is panting...

My dog is panting he's not eating very much I'm and he's a little step I think he might be having a heat thing

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?

12 and Sammy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

No is usually fine he has a little bit of arthritis in his back legs he's a long haired shepherd

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
His legs are stiff
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
He's trying to get up but he's just a weak and again he hasn't ate very much lately because he's being picky with with his food
5/25/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed in the last few days (even if your pet regularly receives it)? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication? Toxin ingestion?

Can you tell me what you believe is going on? I'm unsure what a "heat thing" is?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
ok
he's not panting as much now, we put the fan on him
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
he's a long hair german shepard
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
sorry, a little broke to call
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
hes trying to lift his head, however; his legs wont let him
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
gave him low dose baby asprin
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
it was like 88 here in Michigan
we are using window air conditioners

Has he been indoors or outside? What temp is it outdoors if he's been outside?

How long since he ate and drank normally?

Is he able to stand at all?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
no new food, we have been mixing some wet, not too much because he has been getting diarrea
no human food, no newer treats, regular dietno new enviornmengt, weve nee give him baby asprin when his hips hurts
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
he goes outside to go to the bathroom. no vomiting

So he's able to get up, go outside and use the bathroom currently?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I did get him a new bone though
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
its 88 outdoors, I dont know how long. He cant stand hes trying too tho
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
no
he's not
he did earlier when I first got home and tripped a little bit
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
in doors its lke 76
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
tripped getting in a little bit
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
still there?
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
hes not breathing as heavy as he was

Based on what you've shared I am concerned that the aspirin alone is not going to help with his discomfort and he's having mobility problems. The panting may be partially due to pain and due to being too warm, which it sounds like you've addressed by cooling him down. You can also wet his abdomen with water and his paw pads to help reduce his temperature faster. I do think it would be wise to have him examined and treated by a vet. If aspirin is all that is being used he may well be in need of other medications at this time such as canine-safe NSAIDs and/or pain medications. If he's not on any joint supplement this should be considered. X-rays of his hips and back are likely going to be recommended to see what is going on below the skin. Bloodwork may also be recommended. If you need help finding a place that can see him please let me know. I'll need your location.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
we have carecredit so its limited
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
hes so lethargic he cant lift his head and weak
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
hes trying though
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
thats all the help?

I'm still here if you need further assistance. I'm afraid there's not a great deal to do from home at this point. Your companion is eating and drinking, as you've reported. You're giving aspirin, which is one of the safest medications that can be given OTC.

You've said that his panting is improved and I've guided you on how to continue cooling him down, if not speed along your efforts.

If you're missing something from our discussion I may not be aware of your expectations and conveying that to me may help.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
hes not really eating hes drinking
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
how often are we supposed to give him asprin?

Thank you. I may have misunderstood since you mentioned you were mixing in wet food and he was producing diarrhea. I would try some bland food for good measure. This may also help not only with his appetite but also with the diarrhea you're seeing. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Avoid skin and bone. Use no salt, butter, oils, spices or other enticing additives. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the meat is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try using or adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. You want to work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following improvement of the appetite and resolution of diarrhea. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over a 10 day period. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food. Try to be sure that all aspirin doses are given with food to prevent a GI upset.

Aspirin can be given twice daily. Compare your dosage with this calculator: https://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
i actually made that earlier when i got home from work
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
but how can i make him eat? my wife suggested mixing the rice with water and blending it up
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
put it into a syringe and feed him?

That's an excellent idea. If he's not willing to eat you can try a regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours if no other medications are being given that we haven’t discussed. This should help with GI symptoms. You can find the dosing information available here: https://www.petcarerx.com/medication-guides/famotidine-for-pet-stomach-ulcers/1116 For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to use a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). Be sure to give a few teaspoons of water following any dry pilling to help flush the pill down to the stomach. [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, please discontinue the famotidine.]

This may help give him an appetite. You can blend with water and then syringe small amounts into his mouth. I would also try the pureed baby food we spoke about above as this can be easier to feed by syringe.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
hes not panting at all now
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
almost like hes going to sleep

He may be relaxing enough to rest if he no longer feels the need to pant. Keep the fan on him and close tabs on his condition.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
ok, we are going to sleep out in the living room tonight to monitor him
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
you dont think its hip displasia do you?
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
hes trying to stand up, move his head but is weak

As we discussed above, I am very concerned that this is related to his hips. If he's had hip pain in the past this could be arthritis or dysplasia, yes.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
ok

I will be signing off here shortly for the evening but I will check back in with you tomorrow. If you need additional assistance before then feel free to post back here and I will reply just as soon as I sign back on. I hope that he does well today with these additional steps you can take at home.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
i think thats all we need. My wife will be running to the store while i monitor him. Thanks for yor help! vet tomorrow

You're welcome. Good luck!

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thanks
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Is it normal for him to ber stiff?
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
its almost like hes paralyzed on one side

Stiffness can certainly happen from laying for long periods of time and from arthritis. If he was paralyzed on that side he'd be completely unable to use those limbs.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
He can use his limbs tho. We had given him food and water and he's taking it. He looks like he's in pain
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
We have him laying do2n his heads on a pillow he Iain pain which is evident
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I'm just hoping we don't have to put him down

If he's using his limbs then it's not paralysis. Your vet should be able to address his pain when a visit occurs. I touched on the potential above for them to want to perform bloodwork and x-rays to see what's going on and they may also want to start NSAID/pain med therapy which will work better for his discomfort than aspirin.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
He's Been trying to get up on his own
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Seems a little weak

This is expected with the symptoms you've shared. I would encourage him to rest. If he needs to go out to use the bathroom I would stabilize him and permit him to walk slowly. Alternately he can be picked up and taken outdoors. He will do best on a high traction surface like the grass.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
We are taking him to the vet at 830 this morning

Checking in. How was the vet visit this morning?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
We had to put him down he was bleeding inside going toward his heart he had sesiors last night
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
It was a quick turn

I'm so sorry to hear of his passing. Thank you for letting me know.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you for your help,! Very much appreciated
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
It was the best thing to do
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
For him

You're very welcome.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Is there a way to request you next time if needed?

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions, let me know if I can help you further. Please be aware that we work on the HONOR SYSTEM on this website. Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy