Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have a French bulldog who has been sleeping in a little…

I have a French...

I have a French bulldog who has been sleeping in a little play pen with his bed and and potty pads. He's about 4 months old and at night he has started to cough and it sounds like he may be gagging and about to throw up but does not throw up.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

He did test positive for two types of parasite not sure exactly which ones don't have his medical records infront of me. He is on medication for this now.

Answered in 1 hour by:
5/25/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed in the last few days (even if your pet regularly receives it)? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication? Toxin ingestion?

Can you share a video of the coughing? If not, does it look and sound like any of these?

Cardiac cough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv02RYW2TfY

Kennel cough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZusGtj3NxcU

Collapsing trachea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=042OsjZ5Hvs

Reverse sneezing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UyBrb0Hhpk

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
There have been many changes to his diet. He was on proplan but when I got him I changed him to fromms. Since he did test positive for the parasites they gave me medication but the diarrhea didn't get better so the vet told me to start rice and chicken diet which made it worse.. now he is on a digestive care prescription diet which I just started last night.

Thank you for the clarification.

What medication are you giving for the parasites?

Are any others being given for the coughing/vomiting action?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
No medication for the coughing. He is not vomitting and it doesn't seen to be like any of those videos. he is on metronidazoe for the parasites.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
The coughing wasn't concerning me until now. Bc its been a few nights now.

I would try to collect a video. This sounds like it may be dry heaving (with no vomit production) and if it truly is coughing your vet will likely want to start a different antibiotic and cough suppressant. Many coughs that dogs develop are transmissible and may develop into secondary bronchopneumonia if left untreated. Without seeing what you're seeing it's all speculation at this point. Additionally, I do have concern that the parasites or the metronidazole may be causing nausea (which can cause this coughing/gagging sound) which may require a few different approaches which can include anti-nausea medications or even a change of parasite medication.

If you do acquire a video and would like me to take a look you can post it back at any time (even after rating) and I'll be happy to take a look.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions, let me know if I can help you further. Please be aware that we work on the HONOR SYSTEM on this website. Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I will try to acquire a video. What exactly is dry heaving? is it something to be concerned about? Do you suggest I take him to the vet again?

Dry heaving is vomiting (retching) without producing vomit. Sometimes the dogs produce a coughing sound at the end which can make it difficult to discern a cough from nausea. I do think it would be wise to plan a recheck vet visit. They will be able to palpate the trachea and see if they can get him to do it again. If it's repeatable it's likely a cough and they can prescribe medication for it. If it's dry heaving due to nausea they'll likely take a different approach and add anti-nausea medication. He's had so many changes recently that it would be difficult to say for sure which would be most likely but my suspicion is that this is due to nausea.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy