Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog is 8 1/2 and is with pink skin, and is now getting a…

My dog is 8 1/2...
My dog is 8 1/2 and is white with pink skin, and is now getting a lot of sun spots, what should I look for for skin cancer?
5/23/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Will you please attach pictures or video of what you’re seeing? There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. If your files won’t load they may be too large for the site. You can also use FREE websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If, by chance, you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

The spots that you're seeing are rather normal in older dogs with light colored pigment. I would recommend taking pictures every 4-6 months of the areas you're seeing and comparing the size of each of the spots. If you see the area become raised, growing rapidly, oozing, itchy, etc. your vet will want to examine the area(s). Quite often these are of no major concern for the pet's health, however, an area becoming raised or exhibiting rapid changes may need to be evaluated as potential skin cancer. For those spots, if they occur, your vet will want to anesthetize your pet, remove them and send them off for histopathology. Due to the increased risk factor of senior animals we often have an owner observe until removal is required. If you are greatly concerned your vet can perform biopsies of the pigmented areas and have a pathologist review them for good measure.

For now, I'd watch and record information on them. If you become concerned about your finding alert your vet. They will discuss the right protocol for Beauregard based on what they find during the examination.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions, let me know if I can help you further. Please be aware that we work on the HONOR SYSTEM on this website. Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about Beauregard. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy