Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog is a terrier mix pretty much looks like a black and…

My dog is a...

My dog is a terrier mix pretty much looks like a ***** ***** white black and little brown over the last five days he started coughing almost like dry heaving but not all the time he ate last night he passed it it look normal his stool but now is uncontrollably shaking hasn’t drink much today but he has had urination fine

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

He is very lethargic just today yesterday was not I read something online of course I don’t listen to anything that’s why am asking of that hopefully that can determine asked if I can send pictures I will he has a very bad tooth decay that he needs teeth pulled but I’m on disability on a very tight budget he’s about 12 years old I love them but I want what is best for him if it something at the serious just let me know please if you need more detail let me know also my name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

He is very lethargic just today yesterday was not I read something online of course I don’t listen to anything that’s why am asking of that hopefully that can determine asked if I can send pictures I will he has a very bad tooth decay that he needs teeth pulled but I’m on disability on a very tight budget he’s about 12 years old I love them but I want what is best for him if it something at the serious just let me know please if you need more detail let me know also my name I have some stethoscopes I listen to his heart and his breathing and I had a friend over also listen and it was very irregular but his breathing after an attack of dry heaving would be a little Weezy at first but then short and shallow breath but not much stress to him on that gumd is very white is Mike

4/20/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?

Can you share a video of the coughing? If not, does it look and sound like any of these?

Cardiac cough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv02RYW2TfY

Kennel cough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZusGtj3NxcU

Collapsing trachea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=042OsjZ5Hvs

Reverse sneezing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UyBrb0Hhpk

Laryngeal paralysis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsv5o3pP00E

Cardiac cough is exactly how is responding to him it happened overnight as well that’s the weird part but his teeth are very bad and I just don’t have the money because I am disabled and on a fixed income to take him anywhere no veterinary clinic out here would work with me at all but all one at the initial consultation but I thousand dollars for extractions and then $500 for bloodwork that’s more than I make in a month are used to be able to pay that when I was able to work but I broke my Back in 17 places I’m disabled I don’t like it but I have no choice I just thought there was places out there I could take a pad I’ve had for 12 years almost done terrier mix like a ***** ***** that’s what everybody calls him at least a ***** ***** even that’s when I was able to take them there please let me know what I should do on a very fixed income
you will be calling me? It’s exactly like that shit sue that you had on there except he’s a ***** ***** I can calm it down to stop and get him to stop Just from soothing him. But feel badly I’m mad st myself for not having money to help.
OK what about the $28 I just got charged on my credit card not being rude but do I get that we find it shows the vet can’t talk to me? I don’t mind paying for the advice texting online also as long as I can get an answer I think it’s ridiculous I don’t have an answer yet I’ve been trying since last night I know the vet assistant very kind because she apologize right away for how long it took somebody to get to me If it something I can fix that’s on a budget I need to do that ASAP I think as he’s getting weaker by the minute my dog I’ve had for 12 years if there’s anybody with a heart out there a be nice sorry for that last comment
Am I going to get a response or not even your taking time to review everything I don’t know how this thing works is the first time I ever use the system

A cardiac cough needs to be under treatment by a vet. There is very little that can be done from home.

Since you've mentioned that money is tight, I would look into financial aid and financing options like these:

Red Rover: https://redrover.org/find-financial-assistance-veterinary-care

Best friends: http://bestfriends.org/resources/financial-aid-pets

AVMA: https://www.avma.org/public/YourVet/Pages/Financial-assistance-for-veterinary-care-costs.aspx

HSUS: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_veterinary_care.html

PAWS: https://www.paws.org/cats-and-dogs/other-services/help-with-veterinary-bills/

Your dogs friend: http://yourdogsfriend.org/we-recommend/need-help-paying-vet-bills/

AFRP: https://www.animalfriendsrescue.org/financialassistance.html

Speaking for Spot: http://speakingforspot.com/?p=Financial%20Assistance%20for%20Veterinary%20Care

2 options for financing include www.carecredit.com and www.scratchpay.com. Both of these companies have low interest APR rates (starting at 5%) and allow you to pay for a vet bill over 6-24 months.

Oral issues can certainly cause cardiac issues, such as bacterial endocarditis. Your vet may want to address the cardiac concern before addressing a dental concern.

Understand that I have absolutely no control over what money you send to the website. I work directly with them and they work directly with you. I have no control over pop-ups either. Alas, I cannot make a call at this time, but I have attempted to help by giving you the info you've requested. If no call is made, the site is happy to return the money that was taken. Let me know and I'll be happy to have contact customer service to have this done for you.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

No thank you if you can have that money donated towards somebody that doesn’t have money to even ask question I know you don’t run the system but I don’t want the hassle of having to get a return or anything like that I’d rather have a go to you you’ve given me plenty of insight to look into now thank you so much you’re very kind thank you wants again they can keep the $28 for the phone call that was supposed to happen I am fine with it for your time
I’m more concerned about my dogs and $28 I don’t want to lose my best friend

I completely understand. Let me know how this works out for you. You may also be able to look into high volume spay/neuter clinic options in your area. Some of them offer dental services that are highly discounted, as well, though I am unsure if the organizations mentioned above would work with them or not.

I’ve went through all that already most of the ones you sent me there’s no discount there’s just payments and because of my disability at one time at the beginning I had an 804 credit score and now I have about 550 credit score so everything is a higher interest if I do get something and they high-volume spay neuter clinics out here don’t want nothing to do with it it just is astonishing to me that they would rather let my dog go through this because I have i’ve went through all that already most of the ones you sent me there’s no discount there’s just payments and because of my disability at one time at the beginning I had an 804 credit score now I have 550 credit score so everything is a higher interest if I do get something and they high-volume spay neuter clinics out here don’t want nothing to do with it it just is astonishing to me that they would rather let my dog go through this because I have A lack of money

Unfortunately, there are very few clinics nationwide which don't operate directly from someone's pocket. Although it's easy to view the situation in this fashion: "rather let my dog go through this because I have a lack of money", it's important to know that many clinics cannot afford to finance care for other animals. They are open to make money, so that they can pay their clinic bills and staff. This is why the organizations I mentioned exist. They don't offer a discount to owners, but they do offer to help with funding to cover those large bills at a veterinary clinic. If you'd also like me to look for a lower cost clinic, I can do so. I'll need your city and state.

I understand completely I know how the system works I had my own businesses two of them. You can only donate a little bit because your overhead is tremendous including the doctors bills that they have to pay for many years after they get out of school. I just bums me out that my personal about that I’ve been going to for 35 years now can’t even work with me at all I did not mean it in a negative way to all veterinary clinics and I’m sorry that it sounded that Way I’m just very very low on money which is a first for me to have to live my life this way I am learning new things every day about how to live with no money I work my butt off as you probably do every day it sounds like just so you can have some money and a little bit a Cushion room. Thank you so much for all your help and I do understand about the clinics it’s just hard for me to swallow that I can’t afford to fix my own pet maybe some of the shows that are on animal planet and discovery and all that stuff makes it seem like when you do you need help there’s all these places that just do it for free for you just because they care about the animal more than the money when you’re in a difficult situation financially I know you probably don’t get this tonight but when you do if you feel like responding. Cushion room. Thank you so much for all your help and I do understand about the clinics it’s just hard for me to swallow that I can’t afford to fix my own pet maybe some of the shows that are on animal planet and discovery and all that stuff makes it seem like when you do need help there’s all these places that just do it for free for you just because they care about the animal more than the money when you’re in a difficult situation financially I know you probably don’t get this tonight but when you do if you feel like responding i’m going to go ahead and rate you because it wants me too.
You know on this questionnaire thing how we go back-and-forth through their system is there anyway in the future if I have any questions I can talk to you again just by remembering your username or no if so please let me know thank you *****

Some states DO have free clinics, but they're typically funded by grants and not everything is covered. This often comes in the form of free spay/neuter in many areas and sometimes, also, vaccines. Some clinics in larger cities are truly free to those that qualify, though.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Hello I am sorry I just saw this message my dog is doing a little better but still has a cough but he is eating good now the veterinary clinic I took them to did bloodwork and x-rays and a physical exam and told me they didn’t see anything wrong with him. He’s definitely got something wrong with him I think valley fever as he’ll do fine for hours and as soon as you try to excite him mostly he’ll start his renching dry heaves.
once again thank you so much for all your help I hope you get this. I think the last time we talked or April 20 I don’t know what else to do I spent $1000 already on the vet and they guaranteed me with bloodwork and x-rays they could tell me what was wrong with them all they did was give me some pain medicine and amoxicillin

If you think this is valley fever, call back and talk to the vet. Tell them that the medication has not helped and you'd like to go forward with treating this as though it may be coccidioidomycosis. They may be willing to go forward with just writing a prescription and having you start treatment from home. This is typically a few weeks on antifungal therapy.