Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog is a chicauach. She has pale gums she blind and her…

My dog is a...

My dog is a chicauach

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?

She has pale gums she blind and her eyes sometimes get matted up sometimes. When I came home she threw up what she was had for dinner the night before

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No cause she stays in my room while I'm. At will and when I get home I take her out to go potty

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?

Thus morning guys she went with me to take my grandson to school and SC he was okay She

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

3rd Iggy now she just wants to sleep and SC he don't want to eat. And her nose is cold

4/20/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?​

She keeps throwing up smashed been doing that 4th this the night off and on birth. Is brownish looking but I think it. From the dog food from last night . She drank a little bit of water yesterday we day but not a whole lot I know she is dehydrated cause I can pull her skin up a whole lot from his we back and she breathe real heavy

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication?

Can you clarify what this means? "smashed been doing that 4th this the night off and on birth​".

I have gave her some kibbles and bits cause I was low on cash I usually. Give her pedigree
she had some table food . She a diabet and I give her shots twice a day. But I have been out ofneedles for the past week
Also she blind

The rapid change in diet and table food is most likely the culprit here. I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian. If you need help finding a location that can see your pet (even just to keep on hand), I can help. I’ll need you to provide your location as the website does not give us this.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). Be sure to give a few teaspoons of water following any dry pilling to help flush the pill down to the stomach. [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

But yesterday she was fine that morning but when I got off of work I notice the nose was cold and her gum was light pinkally punk
What kind of bland High fiber dog food. How do I give her the proof through the mouth with a syringe
Pepcid

Re-read my post above, I gave instructions on how to make the bland diet. If you must give the pepcid with a syringe, you'll want to add the pepcid to a syringe, add a few mLs of water, permit it to dissolve and then give it orally.

Can I give her Pedialyte and can I also feed her the baby food I think I will have a better chance of getting it down her

You can, but make sure the pepcid has 2 hours to work and use only small amounts. If her appetite returns, you should not have to force her.

Cause I also bought her her some propel water the regular to help her with the dehydration

Propel is intended for humans and has a high volume of sugar. Recall that we have established that human foods may be linked to her digestive upset. Pedialyte is fine but propel should not be used.

I'm a little concerned the way she is breathing. She breathing a little rapid like she having a hard time.

A change in respirations would be normal if she's nauseated. I'd need to see a video to analyze this, though. Can you attach one?

Even if it says purified water with electrolytes to help with the dehydration

That's correct. This is intended for people to rehydrate themselves after a heavy workout. It's not intended to be used in dogs. Pedialyte is entirely different. It is intended to rehydrate and replenish the sick. Propel is intended for those who are healthy.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
I'm trying to send you a video of her breathing but it's not letting me send it for some reason