Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Dog ate 3 thin mint cookies. Danbi, 8 year old Maltese. 8…

Customer Question
Dog ate 3 thin...

Dog ate 3 thin mint cookies.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Danbi, 8 year old Maltese

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Danbi?

8 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Danbi?

4lbs.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog
4/3/2018
Dog Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 2 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago }?

2. Are these the Girl Scout cookies?

Within the past hour. Yes, chocolate Girl Scout cookies.

Got it thanks, ***** ***** your answer now ...

Hello Again,

Dog ate three thin mint Girl Scout Cookies.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. While this is not likely to be a fatal incident there is probably enough chocolate there to make a 4-pound dog quite ill, vomiting, diarrhoea and perhaps tremors.

2. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make Danbi sick immediately and try to recover the cookies that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then this may be possible. For the sake of speed, I will give you a link on how to do this best: LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. However, if you fail to induce vomiting and any severe symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a local vet without delay.

4. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject: LINK

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Danbi's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Danbi is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the thin mint cookies incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott