Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog has an irritated and inflamed paw. When I look

Customer Question
My dog has an...

My dog has an irritated and inflamed paw. When I look underneath, I can see little white bumps and a larger black growth of some sort...can I show you a picture?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is your dog's name and age?

Tyler and he is about 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tyler?

He is a rescue so we don’t know much about him

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog
4/2/2018
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Yes! Please do. You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

I see cavitated smaller lesions and the larger mass which has ulcerated, bled, and scabbed (the "black"). These are most consistent with cup-shaped inverted papillomas but would need to be biopsied for confirmation. Clinical management of these may include surgical excision, cryosurgery, elelectrosurgery, laser ablation, and observation without treatment as papillomas usually regress within 3 months of their development. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

He has a vet appointment in 5 days. It is obviously bothering him. Is there anything I can do to help him in the meantime?

These don't respond to over the counter topical products. You might provide analgesia, however, in the form of aspirin dosed at 10 mg per pound of body weight with food at 12 hour intervals or acetaminophen which can be dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight thrice daily but isn’t antiinflammatory as is aspirin. You can give aspirin and acetaminophen concurrently which should provide better analgesia than either drug alone. When giving acetaminophen for longer than 5 consecutive days it's best to reduce the dose to 5 mg per pound of body weight twice daily. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thanks! Should I soak it or use a warm compress or anything?

You're quite welcome. I don't believe that compressing or soaking it in anything will be helpful but I wouldn't argue with your lavaging the area with over the counter chlorhexidine solution (e.g., Hibiclens in your local drug store) which will keep the area disinfected.