Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She has a clear discharge and has a crazy thirst! She has…

Customer Question
She has a clear...

She has a clear discharge and has a crazy thirst ! She has been this way for the last 3 to 4 days now .

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Marnee

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Marnee?

She seems to be a bit sad , and while on our walks starts out slow then she is her self just for a short amount of time . I guess

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/2/2018
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How old is she?

Is it a clear vaginal discharge you meant? Is she spayed?

Is she passing urine more often? Any straining?

Large or small amounts? Dark or watery?

Any weight loss, change in appetite or vomiting?

Any access to toxins?

Marnee is 7.yes it is a clear watery discharge. Small to med amount.yes she is spayed. No noticeable loss , no change other than the water, no on the vomiting. Not that know of .

Hello again,

Now I am glad to see she has been spayed, though we will need to keep a stump pyometra (uterine infection) in mind for the moment. That said, with Marnee's signs I'd be more suspicious that if the two are linked that she has an underlying bladder infection, bladder stone/urine crystals or tumor. However, if the vaginal discharge is just incidental then we'd also have to consider increased thirst from underlying issues like diabetes, Cushing's disease (an overproduction of the body's steroids), kidney, heart or liver disease. Severe inflammatory disease could cause this as well but is less likely if she is otherwise herself.

To get to the bottom of what is triggering her signs, we are a bit limited with what can be done at home. We could measure water intake (measuring how much water we give her over 24 hours then measure what is left to get a total) to assess severity but it would be worth having her checked by her vet once they are open. The vet will be able to have a feel of her and just make sure there are no sinister lumps and bumps to blame for her signs. As well, you may consider having the vet check a blood or urine sample at this stage to give you an idea if her organs are in distress or if a hormonal issue is to blame for her signs.

Now in her situation, I would say that blood sample is ideal here. It would allow you to identify any organ dysfunction and would allow you to appreciate how severe it may be. As well, hormonal diseases like Cushing's can give your vet hints that they are present on routine bloods (though determining how severe and therefore how much medication she requires may require a second blood sample to test for the hormone that is suspect). That said, if costs are a concern or you wanted to take things slowly, then a urine sample can be an economical and non-invasive means of ruling out some of our concerns. For example, urine cat be tested in-house by the vet to check for signs of diabetes (ie. sugar in the urine), urinary based infection (ie bacteria, white blood cells), as well as check its specific gravity (how concentrated it is) that can tell us if there are problems with her kidneys lurking. So, this would be a non-invasive means to start ruling out some of the above triggers for her signs and its of value for her as well since we have bladder based concerns too. Depending on the findings of your vet's exam and bloods/urine, you will be in a position to know which of these concerns are affecting her, how you can best address them, and what her long term prognosis may be here.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************

If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Afterward, as I am dedicating my evenings & weekends to helping you, I would be grateful if you could please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

You are very welcome,

After you leave feedback for me, I will be able to send your question back to customer service to make sure you aren't signed up for a subscription.

And given her signs and those bloods you have now shown me, you need to speak to her vet about diabetes. The creatinine kinase and ALP you have marked there are not likely clinically significant but the glucose is elevated (though stress or having fed her before testing could impact that, so a fructosamine may need checking).

Best wishes,

Dr. B

**************************

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.