Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Last nite our 75 lb boxer ate 10 hard boiled eggs with the…

Customer Question
Last nite our 75...

Last nite our 75 lb boxer ate 10 hard boiled eggs with the shell. He is now throwing up a lot . Mostly egg white and some shell fragments.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Leroy and he is about 3 yrs old and approx 75 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Leroy?

No he ate normal during the day and was ok except for throwing up during the afternoon.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/2/2018
Dog Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 3 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

My dog ate ten hardboiled eggs.

Sorry to hear Leroy is a bit unwell after the eggs incident, hopefully, this is something minor, however, I have worked out an answer for you below.

There should be nothing toxic or dangerous in the eggs { Including the shells } to a dog of Leroy's size, but it hardly surprisng that he is now suffereing a stomach upset, this can happen when a dog gorges on almost anything. But please understand this sort of thing is always a gamble so if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check him over without delay. That said that there are a number of home remedies for vomiting in the dog which some owners use while waiting for their vet's appointment, these often work well for uncomplicated cases. Here are some examples.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepcid to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yoghurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yoghurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, two tablespoons twice a day is fine for larger dogs.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Leroy's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Leroy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the boiled eggs incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott