Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

I have a 10 yr, a week ago she had diarrhea and vomiting.

Customer Question

I have a 10 yr ***** *****, a week ago she had diarrhea and vomiting. She was a bit lethargic. I changed her diet to chicken, rice, carrots and pumpkin. I have been giving her a probiotic too. She seems much happier and eating this new diet it well, but she has only pooped twice this week ( last BM was on Fri and now it’s sunday. She is drinking a lot too. Her belly is not hard or anything.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She does have a little fatty tumor on her belly. I had her vet check it, blood tests and X-rays but turned out it was just a fatty tumor. That was about September last year. It doesn’t seeem to have changed or anything. She is still very active. Took her to the park twice yesterday and this morning hoping a little extra exercise would help. But nothing yet.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 7 months ago.

My Name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to assist you.

You hae your dog on what we normally consider a bland diet when there is diarrhea or vomiting. Once the diarrhea solidifies, we start weaning back onto a normal diet. This has to be done gradually over a period of one to two weeks. You can however continue to add the probiotics and a spoon full of Pure canned Pumpkin to the regular diet. Unfortunately the bland diet is not good enough to be used on a regular basis.

You can go to a homemade diet which there are a lot of balanced recipes online.

This is a great link to help you:

https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/15_7/features/Home-Prepared-Dog-Food-Nutritional-Information_20568-1.html

I hope this information helps. Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan