Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He seems uncomfortable, his belly seems a little hard and…

Customer Question
He seems uncomfortable, his...

He seems uncomfortable, his belly seems a little hard and his poop is watery

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Tank, he's a shiz Tzu tea cup poodle mix , he's 8

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Dog
4/1/2018
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 24 days ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication?

Is he eating and drinking well?

When did his stool become watery?

Any vomiting?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
no vomiting, he sometimes eats human food, he ate an entire filet one time Anna acted like this for a few days, that was not intentional btw, w turned our back for a couple minutes......probably a week
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
But a couple days he acted almost ok. I don't have money to take him to a vet, I got laid off a few months ago
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I'm spending my last$20 to talk to you

Is he still eating and drinking well currently?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
treats too

I would try to avoid all human foods now and in the future. This is one of the more common causes of GI disturbances in dogs. Since he's still eating and drinking well and a veterinary visit is not possible, I would move him over to a strict bland diet for a few days until the stool issues resolve. This means you'll need to avoid treats for a few days too.

To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
He's not vomiting at all

Were you able to see my reply above?

Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 23 days ago

Checking in, JACustomer. How is Tank doing today?

Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 21 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse