Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have a 4 year old beagle that was diagnosed with irritable…

Customer Question
I have a 4...

I have a 4 year old beagle that was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome when he was a pup. (He's a rescue).

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the beagle's name and age?

Every now and then he has an ibs attack. usually because he ate something that he shouldn't have. when he has theses attacks my vet usually treats him with flatly and 3 or 4 days on prescription id. Eddie, my beagle, was on a diet

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is,?

Of grain free limited food and only venison, asparagus and blueberries. (Lotus venison stew. but my vet wants to try Eddie on prescription zd dog food with hydrolyzed protein. problem is that he's always hungry with this food and after he eats he drinks a lot. any suggestion as to another type of dog food I can put him on? maybe a rabbit based or another novel protein. I don't trust this zd prescription food/

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about,?

He's otherwise a healthy beagle. takes heart worm meds and nexguard once a month. during allergy season he's on apoquel. like I said whenever he eats this zd prescription food he's a lot. I read the reviews of this food and read that their are other pet owners who have had the same issue. I'm looking for a good dog food to give Eddie. I don't care what the cost is

Veterinarian's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Veterinarian's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Pearl, I'm talking about the cost of the dog food. the Lotus was pricey but I didn't care because he was ok with it.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog
4/1/2018
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 2 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time? Has your vet used another prescription diet like rabbit and green pea vs. the z/d? If so, did this help?

no, my vet just put him on the zd prescription diet of which I am not pleased. as I have said right after he eats it he drinks a lot.
I mix the kibble with the canned zd. he was on lotus venison stew before and he did fairly well. I am looking for another food
with a novel protein. rabbit is fine. can you suggest any one brand?
hello, anyone there? Seems there's a problem answering my question - last night and now.

It takes a few minutes to be notified that you've responded, to read your response and to also reply. Please be patient while I get some links together for you.

If your vet wants to use a prescription brand of food for a novel trial and you're interested in a rabbit-based food consider Royal Canin's PR select protein diet (made from rabbit and green pea). This comes in both canned and kibble variety: https://www.chewy.com/royal-canin-veterinary-diet-selected/dp/35130?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Royal%20Canin%20Veterinary%20Diet&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhoLWBRD9ARIsADIRaxTZWgJTbLwXoRrSzN8DNQ-VBSbOhrjLUWLWaLqIRCBUj_K7U1VLRdUaAhjZEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you are looking for a non-prescription option, I would recommend trying Earthborn Rabbit and Pumpkin: https://www.chewy.com/earthborn-holistic-venture-rabbit/dp/162425?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Earthborn%20Holistic&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhoLWBRD9ARIsADIRaxSFhQ2pwrwdEc95FXApkKNloqfIsQ-dYp1e9rfz3XRlTHu_08TX2hQaAkBpEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds and also Instinct, if you are willing to feed a fully canned diet: https://www.instinctpetfood.com/dogs/limited-ingredient-diet/instinct-limited-ingredient-diet-real-rabbit-recipe

Another option would be feeding a homecooked diet made by the veterinary nutritionists at http://www.balanceit.com This route would allow you and your vet to make small adjustments to the diet, as needed, if he does not do well with the carbohydrate source or protein source. Rabbit, however, can be tricky to find so you may need to look at coupling your efforts with websites like http://www.hare-today.com which can offer ground rabbit meat.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Eddie doing today? Were you able to visit the links to look in to the rabbit-based foods I recommended?