Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog just ate a bottle of children’s Benadryl. He’s 50lbd.

Customer Question
My dog just ate...

My dog just ate a bottle of children’s Benadryl. He’s 50lbd. Do I have a problem?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

Barney 1.5 years

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog
4/1/2018
Dog Specialist: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 3 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. Did he swallow the actual bottle as opposed to the contents?

Contents, he seems to acting normal

Got it thanks!

Hello again,

My dog swallowed a bottle of Children's Benadryl.

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. While this is not likely to be a fatal incident it could well be that Barney could suffer significant side effects such as extreme lethargy and sedation. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try to recover the Benadryl that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed, I will give you a link on how to do this best: LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

2. However, if you fail to quickly induce vomiting then your best plan would be to take Barney to an ER vet without delay.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Barney's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

How is it going? did you manage to induce vomiting?

Standing by ...

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Barney is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Children's Benadryl incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott