Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He's vomiting. I just found one of my lyrica 75 mg on the…

Customer Question
He's vomiting. I just...

He's vomiting. I just found one of my lyrica 75 mg on the floor. It was chewed. I have him pepto just a little like 1 mm

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

What can I do. I live on Puerto Rico. Here no one works on Good Friday.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Wallie he is 10 yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Wallie?

Nop only he had stones on his kidneys

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog
3/31/2018
Dog Specialist: Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

How much does Wallie weigh?

Is he able to urinate freely?

Any other long term health concerns with him other than kidney stones?

Pregabalin (Lyrica) is not a drug we use frequently in dogs.

It is used occasionally as an anti-seizure drug and the recommended dose is 2mg to 4mg per kilogram of body weight every 8 hours.

Do you think he ate more than 1/4 of the pill (18.75mgs)?

If he is less than 10 pounds (4.7kgs) then he ingested more than a normal dose for him.

Side effects from the drug would be sedation, incoordination, vomiting and diarrhea. If he is more than 10 pounds then I would expect you may see sleepiness and some mild stomach upset, but that should be it.

This is not a drug that I would expect to be lethal but hopefully he didn't eat much of it. This drug is metabolized relatively quickly in dogs so if he remains relatively normal by tomorrow morning then he should remain so.

To try and settle his stomach today you can give either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid, which decreases absorption of the drug and should help settle his stomach. They can be given for several days if need be.

Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled hamburger or white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained and 2/3 white rice for the next 24 hours.

Keep him away from stairs and off furniture tonight just in case so he doesn't fall and hurt himself.

But if he is much bigger than 10 pounds I am concerned that the Pregabalin may not be the issue. Given that he has kidney stones it is possible one has passed into his urethra and he is unable to urinate.

When that happens urine builds up in the bladder, places back pressure on the kidneys which affects their ability to function, waste products build up in the blood, and electrolyte levels become unbalanced causing the pup to vomit and become quite lethargic.
If he is blocked this is a true medical emergency, he can die from the toxins and changes in electrolytes in his blood which can lead to fatal heart arrhythmias. He needs immediate veterinary care.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

He is a shots and weights 18 pounds. Is having problems urinating, thu he always had. Is just the vomiting that concerns me

I agree that his vomiting is definitely of concern.

Given his history of difficulty urinating I am very, very concerned about a blockage in his urethra. I highly recommend that he see a veterinarian on an emergency basis. Given the amount of Lyrica he ate it seems less likely that is causing his vomiting.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****